Number of Servings:Serves 4
beef cheeks, about 1 lb (500 g)
tbsp (30 ml)
olive oil, divided
medium carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
small onion, diced
medium stalk celery, chopped
leek (white only), chopped
garlic cloves, crushed
sprigs fresh thyme
each, black peppercorns, whole cloves and whole allspice
tbsp (20 ml)
cup (190 ml)
full-bodied red wine
cup (500 ml)
cup (130 ml)
cup (130 ml)
Celery Root Purée
CELERY ROOT PURÉE
garlic clove, smashed
sprig fresh thyme
lb (900 g)
peeled celery root cut into 1-in (2-cm) pieces
cup (1000 ml)
- BEEF CHEEKS: Pre-heat oven to 325 F (160 C). Pat beef cheeks dry and season with salt and pepper. In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of oil, add beef cheeks and cook, in batches, turning halfway, for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan and add vegetables and garlic. Cook until golden. Add thyme, peppercorns, cloves and allspice, stirring to combine with vegetables. Stir in tomato purée and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour red wine into pan and stir, scraping bottom. Add beef cheeks and pour enough chicken stock to cover. Bring to a boil, cover and place in oven. Bake for 2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is tender and almost falling apart. Remove, let cool slightly and shred meat. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Pour sauce into a fine mesh strainer set over a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer, add raisins and cook until sauce has reduced by half.
- Place a pastry ring in middle of a plate and add Celery Root Purée. Add shredded cheeks and top with sauce. Serve with seasonal vegetables.
- CELERY ROOT PURÉE: Place garlic and thyme in a piece of cheesecloth, tie with kitchen twine to enclose. Place in a medium saucepan along with celery root and enough milk to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat until celery root is very tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve set over a bowl, reserving ½ cup (125 ml) of milk and discarding cheesecloth bundle. Process celery root and milk in a blender in batches. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Available in 148 Stores
- The Cabernet Sauvignon brings together the unique characteristics of each vineyard for a superbly balanced wine. Fresh red plum and blackberry jam aromas and flavours are supported by caramelized and ... read more
Available in 128 Stores
- 750 mL
- United States