Avocado Toast Salad
IngredientsServes 2 to 4
1 small loaf focaccia bread, cut into 2-in (5 cm) cubes
2 tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups (1 L) Little Gem lettuce
1 large avocado, cut into large chunks
4 semi-dried sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
2 tbsp (30 ml) pickled red onion, make ahead, recipe follows
4 radishes, cut into wedges
1 tbsp (15 ml) sweet pickled baby peppers
4 chives, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) pieces
½ lemon, cut into wedges
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
FOR PICKLED RED ONION:
¾ cup (175 ml) white wine vinegar
3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Toss focaccia cubes with 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. They should still be soft in middle. Allow to cool.
- Arrange focaccia cubes, lettuce, avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, red onion, radish, peppers, chives and lemon wedges on a platter.
- Whisk together lemon juice and remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil with salt and pepper, to taste. Dress salad with vinaigrette right before serving.
- To make Picked Red Onion, in a small saucepan, bring vinegar, 3 tbsp (45 ml) water, sugar and salt to a boil and simmer until sugar and salt have dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Put onions in a glass container. Pour vinegar mixture over onions and cover with a lid. Allow to sit in refrigerator overnight. Makes 2 cups (500 ml).