BACON AND CHIVE SCONES
1 tbsp (15 ml) grapeseed oil
6 strips bacon, finely chopped
¾ cup (175 ml) finely chopped onion
2 tsp (10 ml) poppy seeds
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower seeds
1 tbsp (15 ml) pumpkin seeds
1 cup (250 ml) whole milk, plus extra
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped fresh chives
2 cups (500 ml) all purpose flour, plus extra
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) granulated sugar
2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter, cold
ORANGE CHÈVRE SPREAD:
10 oz (300 g) fresh goat’s cheese, at room temperature
2 tbsp (30 ml) sour cream
1 orange, zest and juice only
1 tbsp (15 ml) clover honey
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring often, until crispy, about 2 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft. Transfer to a paper towellined plate and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine poppy, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together milk, chives and bacon mixture until combined. Set aside.
- Place flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in centre of flour mixture and add milk mixture. Use a butter knife in a cutting motion to mix until just combined. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and bring together with your hands. Knead once or twice, then shape into a 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick disk. Use a 2-inch (5 cm) round cookie cutter dipped in flour to cut out scones. Place scones on prepared baking tray so they are just touching. Brush lightly with extra milk and sprinkle with seed mixture.
- Bake until scones are risen and golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. Scones are best eaten warm or at room temperature the day they are made. Serve with Orange Chèvre Spread, if desired.
- To make ORANGE CHÈVRE SPREAD: In a medium bowl, stir together goat’s cheese and sour cream with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in orange zest and juice and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 1½ cup (375 ml)