3 lbs (1.5 kg) ground beef
2 tsp (10 ml) fine sea salt
½ tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
6 slices, sharp cheddar cheese
12 slices, bacon, fried crisp
6 burger buns
FIG AND CARAMELIZED ONION JAM:
1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
4 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 pint fresh figs, stems removed and halved
1 cup (250 ml) dry red wine
- Preheat grill top or gas barbecue to medium-high heat. Mix together beef, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Divide and shape the burger patties into 6 equal portions making an indentation in the center of each patty with your thumb to prevent the patties from puffing on the grill.
- Lightly grease the grill rack. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until cooked to desired doneness. During the last minute of grilling, place a slice of cheese on each patty and toast the buns, cut side down.
- Add lettuce to the bun bottom. Place the burgers on the lettuce and top with a couple slices of bacon and 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 ml) Fig and Caramelized Onion Jam. Serve immediately.
- To make FIG AND CARAMELIZED ONION JAM: Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onions stirring continuously. As soon as they begin to brown, reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Remove the lid and continue to cook until the onions are caramelized, about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- Add figs, red wine and simmer over medium heat until all the wine is absorbed and the figs and onions are cooked into a thick jam.