CANDY CANE AND DARK CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO
6 oz (180 g) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp (45 ml) unsalted butter
3 large egg whites
¾ cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
2 cups (500 ml) whipping cream
4 oz (125 g) mascarpone, room temperature
1 tsp (5 ml) peppermint extract (optional)
PEPPERMINT CANDY CANE SEMIFREDDO:
1½ cups (375 ml) whipping cream
½ cup (125 ml) coarsely crushed peppermint candy canes, plus more for garnish
3 large eggs, separated
½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) mint liqueur or 1 tsp (5 ml) peppermint liqueur
- Spray two 9 x 5-in (2 L) loaf pans with cooking oil and line with plastic wrap with a slight overhang.
- To make Dark Chocolate Semifreddo, melt chocolate in a double boiler, making sure top pan does not touch simmering water. Remove just before fully melted and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and sugar with an electric beater until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a chilled mixing bowl, whip cream and mascarpone with an electric beater until smooth.
- Gently fold chocolate mixture into stiff egg whites until blended. Then, gently fold in whipped-cream mixture. Divide mixture and pour each half into prepared loaf pans. Freeze for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, make peppermint layer. In a chilled mixing bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in ½ cup (125 ml) crushed candy cane. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Prepare an ice water bath by placing a medium-sized bowl into a larger bowl with ice and water. Set aside. In a double broiler, whisk egg yolks and 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar until thick and foamy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Make sure top pan is not touching simmering water. While beating slowly, add the mint liqueur or peppermint extract. Then whisk vigorously for another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl over ice bath and whisk until cool.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk egg white and remaining sugar until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch, about 2 to 3 minutes. Then beat with electric beater until stiff and glossy peaks form.
- Gently fold egg-white mixture into egg-yolk mixture a third at a time. Fold in whipped-cream mixture. Divide and spoon mixture on top of the frozen Dark Chocolate Semifreddo. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove Candy Cane and Dark Chocolate Semifreddo from freezer and set aside for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Turn onto a board and remove plastic wrap. Garnish with crushed candy canes. Cut into slices, place on chilled serving plates and serve.