CARROT SOUP WITH CRISPY ONIONS, FETA CHEESE AND TOASTED HAZELNUTS
½ cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
½ large yellow cooking onion, thinly sliced
3 tbsp (45 ml) cornstarch
1 lb (500 g) carrots, peeled and sliced, about 4 cups (1 L)
½ large yellow cooking onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
3 tbsp (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) salt
1 tsp (5 ml) freshly ground black pepper
3 cups (750 ml) vegetable stock or water
1 tsp (5 ml) champagne vinegar
tbsp (60 ml) Crispy Onions for garnish
4 tbsp (60 ml) Macedonian feta cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp (30 ml) hazelnuts, toasted and crushed
- To make Crispy Onions, preheat vegetable oil in a medium-sized heavy saucepan until it reads to 300 F (150 C) on a candy thermometer.
- In a bowl, toss together onions and cornstarch until onions are evenly coated, shaking off the excess cornstarch. Fry in hot oil, stirring constantly until onions are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drain onions on a paper towellined plate. Set aside while preparing soup.
- To make Soup, combine carrots, onion, garlic and olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Sauté over medium heat until softened. Add salt, pepper and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until carrots are very tender.
- Purée soup using an immersion blender or place in a blender in batches. Do not overfill blender or lid may pop off while blending. Once puréed, add the champagne vinegar and blend until smooth.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle Crispy Onions, feta and hazelnuts over soup.