Cauliflower, Mushroom and Kale Sformato
IngredientsServes 6. May include egg and dairy.
1 lb (454 g) head cauliﬂower, cut into ﬂorets
2 cups (500 ml) trimmed oyster mushrooms
1 bunch kale, washed, ribs removed, torn into small pieces
3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil, divided
3 tsp (15 ml) salt, divided
1 tsp (5 ml) freshly ground black pepper
1 x 1 lb (500 g) tub ricotta cheese
½ cup (125 ml) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus ½ cup (125 ml) for garnish (optional)
8 roasted garlic cloves, lightly mashed
2 tbsp (30 ml) roasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Toss cauliﬂower, mushrooms and 1 handful of kale, each separately, in 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and 1 tsp (5 ml) salt, and place them on separate baking sheets. Roast cauliﬂower and mushrooms in oven until golden brown and cooked through, about 20 to 40 minutes; they may be done at different times, so check after 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Reduce heat to 350 F (180 C) and roast kale for 10 to 15 minutes, or until edges are light brown. It will crisp up as it cools. Leave oven on.
- Blanch remaining kale in a pot of boiling salted water until soft and wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl of ice water. Once cool, drain and squeeze out remaining water. Finely chop and set aside.
- Mix together remaining 2 tsp (10 ml) salt, eggs, pepper, ricotta and ½ cup (125 ml) Parmigiano-Reggiano. Add blanched kale, roasted garlic and ¾ each of the roasted cauliﬂower and mushrooms. Grease a round 8-in (20 cm) springform pan and place on a baking sheet. Pour egg-ricotta mixture into springform and bake at 350 F (180 C) for about 30 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into middle comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.
- If making Parmigiano-Reggiano garnish, increase oven temperature to 375 F (190 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour ½ cup (125 ml) Parmigiano-Reggiano onto pan in a line about the height of the sformato. You may need to do 2, depending on length of baking sheet. Bake for about 5 minutes, or just until cheese has melted. Allow cheese to cool just until slightly ﬁrm and can be removed from pan in 1 piece. Press it against side of sformato while still warm and pliable.
- Garnish sformato with kale chips, pine nuts and remaining roasted cauliﬂower and mushrooms. Serve warm or at room temperature.