CHICKEN FOIE GRAS, CELERIAC FONDANT, CHICKEN JUS
IngredientsServes 4 servings (with some chicken parts remaining for future use)
Chicken Leg, Breast, Wings and Drumettes (recipes below to be prepared before putting it all together)
Chicken Breast (recipe below)
Mousse (Foie Gras) Stuffed Leg (recipe below)
Confit Wings and Drumettes (recipe below)
Celeriac Fondant (recipe below)
Chicken Jus (recipe below)
chervil, tarragon, celery leaves, thinly sliced radish (for garnish)
1 tsp (5 ml) finely chopped chives
thin shaving of celery
PREPARATION OF THE CHICKEN:
1 whole chicken approx. 3-4 lbs (1.5- 2 kg)
1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
MOUSSE (FOIE GRAS) STUFFED CHICKEN LEG:
de-boned chicken legs
2/3 cup (145 ml) whipping cream
2 tbsp (30 ml) pistachio, coarsely chopped (as green as possible)
½ tsp (2 ml) tarragon, chopped
2 pucks foie gras (available at gourmet and specialty food stores)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
CONFIT WINGS AND DRUMETTES:
wings and drumettes
½ cup (125 ml) kosher salt
½ cup (125 ml) brown sugar
1 medium celeriac
6 tbsp (90 ml) unsalted butter
5 sprigs thyme
3 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
2 lbs ( 1 kg) chicken leg bones
1 leek, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) squares
1 celery stalk, cut into ½-in (1.25 cm) dices
1 white onion, cut into ¼-in (.5 cm) slices
2 garlic cloves, skin removed
1 cup (250 ml) white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup (250 ml) each, white wine and sherry
8 cups (2 L) unsalted chicken stock
kosher salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make CHICKEN FOIE GRAS, CELERIAC FONDANT, CHICKEN JUS: Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Warm Celeriac Fondant in the oven until hot.
- Sear the stuffed chicken leg, skin-side down, until light golden brown.
- Warm chicken wings and drumettes in oven for 8 minutes and sprinkle with chives.
- Sear chicken breast, skin-side down, until golden brown in a skillet pan with oil.
- To serve, divide chicken parts into 4 equal portions, and arrange attractively on each plate on top of Chicken Jus.
- Add celeriac and garnish with a few sprigs each of chervil, tarragon, celery leaves and thinly sliced radish.
- To PREPARE THE CHICKEN: Remove breasts from chicken (leave skin on). Split each breast in half lengthwise, keeping the skin as intact as possible.
- Remove chicken tenders. With a sharp knife, carefully trim off tendon. Set aside.
- Remove legs and de-bone (leave skin on). Set aside.
- Remove wings, including drumette and wing tips. “French” the wings to expose the length of the bone, if desired. Set aside.
- Reserve bones for stock.
- To prepare CHICKEN BREAST: Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C). Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Roast until an internal temperature of 150 F (65 C). Set aside to cool and then refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make MOUSSE (FOIE GRAS) STUFFED CHICKEN LEG: Lay one de-boned chicken leg, skin-side down, on piece of plastic warp on a flat surface. Lightly score the thigh meat, being careful not to cut through the skin, and open up the meat so it’s flat and covers as much surface area as possible. Season both sides of the leg with salt and pepper.
- Pipe mousse on the leg and carefully roll the meat into a log shape. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and secure both ends with butcher’s twine. Poke a few small holes in the log (a cake tester or skewer works well for this).
- Steam on the stovetop on very low heat until the internal temperature reaches 150 F (65 C).
- Allow to cool completely, trim off both ends, and cut into 7 equal portions. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make CHICKEN MOUSSE: Dice foie gras into approximately ½-in (1 cm) cubes. In a food processor, emulsify the chicken tenders with half of the whipping cream.
- Fill a large mixing bowl with ice. Transfer emulsified chicken and whipping cream to a smaller mixing bowl and place on top of the ice bath to keep it well chilled. Slowly fold in the remaining whipping cream. Add salt and pepper to taste, and fold in foie gras, pistachios and tarragon. Transfer mixture to a piping bag. Reserve in the refrigerator.
- To prepare CONFIT WINGS AND DRUMETTES: Pre-heat oven to 180 F (85 C). In a mixing bowl, combine kosher salt and brown sugar. Submerge wings and drumettes in mixture, cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 60 minutes. Remove, and rinse with water. Bake for 2 hours. Remove chicken from fat and chill completely.
- To make CELERIAC FONDANT: Slice celeriac horizontally, approximately 2½-in (6.5 cm) thick. Using a round cutter, punch out a circle. In a pan, heat celeriac circle with butter until foamy. Add a small amount of salt and pepper, along with garlic and thyme. Continuously move the pan to keep the celeriac agitated until it turns golden brown and can be pierced through easily with a small skewer. Add lemon juice and additional seasoning to taste.
- To make CHICKEN JUS: Pre-heat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Chop chicken leg bones into 1-in (2.5 cm) segments. Roast bones in oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat a heavy bottomed stock pot on medium high heat. Add oil and roast bones in pot for an additional 5 minutes. Add leeks, onion, garlic and button mushrooms. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon.
- Add white wine and reduce until almost dry. Add sherry and reduce until almost dry. Add chicken stock and reduce until approximately 1 cup (250 ml) of liquid remains, skimming often.