CLASSIC BELGIAN MUSSELS
1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
2 small shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 sprigs thyme
4 lbs (2 kg) mussels, scrubbed and debearded, discarding any that remain open when tapped
1½ cups (375 ml) Saison Dupont beer
salt and freshly ground pepper
½ cup (125 ml) crème fraîche
3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, stems removed and leaves chopped
1 baguette, sliced
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and thyme and sweat until shallots are translucent.
- Add mussels, beer and a dash of salt and pepper. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove lid and add crème fraîche. Cover with lid and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until all mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that remain closed.
- Stir in parsley and taste broth before adding additional salt and pepper as mussels naturally release a salty broth.
- Serve in a large serving bowl with sliced baguette on side, for dipping.