CORNBREAD LOAVES WITH HONEY BUTTER
IngredientsServes 12 mini loaves or 24 muffins and ⅔ cup (150 ml) Honey Butter
1½ cups (375 ml) buttermilk
¾ cup (175 ml) unsalted butter, melted
1¼ cups (310 ml) granulated sugaR
1¾ cups (425 ml) medium-ground yellow cornmeal
¾ tsp (4 ml) baking soda
¾ tsp (4 ml) kosher salt
1½ cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour
12 fresh thyme sprigs
½ cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, softened
3 tbsp (15 ml) liquid honey
1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Lightly grease twelve 4 x 2-in (10 x 5 cm) mini loaf pans. Alternatively use a couple of muffin pans with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, butter and eggs. Whisk to blend.
- In a separate large bowl, sift dry ingredients, except thyme sprigs, until evenly blended. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Some remaining lumps are fine.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared loaf pans and top each with a sprig of thyme. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pans on a rack.
- To make HONEY BUTTER: Mix butter, honey and salt in a small bowl until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Can be refrigerated for a couple of days. Serve on warm cornbread. Can be refrigerated up to one week.