Mushrooms à la Bordelaise
IngredientsServes Serves 4
1 lb (454 g) mixed whole mushrooms
¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted butter
½ tsp (2.5 ml) finely grated lemon zest
2 tsp (10 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tbsp (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely minced shallot
½ tsp (2.5 ml) minced garlic
½ tsp (2.5 ml) kosher salt
¼ tsp (1 ml) freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped fresh parsley leaves or chives
pan-fried or toasted sliced country bread, to serve
- To prepare mushrooms, trim or remove stems and wipe clean with a clean, damp tea towel. Cut mushrooms as needed so they are all roughly the same size. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt butter, lemon zest and juice. Stir in mushrooms, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in olive oil. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and let mushrooms simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in shallots, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until shallots and garlic have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and adjust seasoning to taste with additional salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley or chives and serve warm with bread.