POTATO AND CRAB MILLE-FEUILLE
2 to 3 large russet potatoes
¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted butter, melted
½ cup (125 ml) crème fraîche, divided
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped fresh chives, plus whole chives for garnish
1 lb (500 ml) fresh crabmeat (large pieces, not flaked), reserve 4 pieces for garnish
2 tbsp (30 ml) chili sauce
2 tsp (10 ml) creamed horseradish
- Position rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Peel potatoes and keep in cold water to prevent browning until ready to proceed.
- Pour melted butter into large bowl, season with salt and pepper. Dry potatoes and slice thinly, using a mandoline. Cut each slice into rounds using a 3-in (8 cm) cookie cutter. Add potato slices to butter and toss to coat. Place slices on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast until golden and crisp. Remove from oven and set on cooling rack. Let cool to room temperature and set aside.
- Divide crème fraîche among two bowls. In one bowl, add salt, pepper and chopped chives. Mix thoroughly and add crab, stirring delicately to coat. In other bowl, add chili sauce and horseradish to crème fraîche and mix thoroughly to combine.
- To serve, place a spoonful of chili sauce on a plate and using back of spoon, slide sauce to one side. Add a layer of potatoes, 2 tbsp (30 ml) crab mixture, a second layer of potatoes, 2 tbsp (30 ml) crab mixture and a final layer of potatoes. Garnish with a piece of crab on top and fresh chives.
- Repeat procedure with remaining potatoes and sauce and serve.