PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD TRIFLE
IngredientsServes 8 to 10
2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground ginger
½ tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
¼ tsp (1 ml) allspice
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) butter, softened
1 cup (250 ml) dark brown sugar
1 large egg
½ cup (125 ml) molasses
¾ cup (175 ml) buttermilk
½ cup (125 ml) hot water
¼ cup (60 ml) cold water
1 × ¼ oz (7 g) envelope of gelatin
1 × 14 oz (425 ml) can pumpkin purée
½ cup (125 ml) light brown s
½ tsp (2 ml) nutmeg
½ tsp (2 ml) ground ginger
1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
1 cup (250 ml) + 1½ cups (375 ml) whipping cream, divided
½ tsp (2 ml) + 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract, divided
3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
13 oz (370 g) thin gingersnap cookies, coarsely crushed, reserving ½ cup (125 ml), for garnish
chopped crystallized ginger, for garnish
- To make GINGERBREAD: Place oven rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350 F (180 C).
- Grease or butter a 13 x 9-in (3.5 L) baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang at both ends.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add egg and beat until blended, then beat in molasses and buttermilk. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture until smooth, then add hot water and beat 1 minute.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and bake until a wooden skewer inserted in centre comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool in pan. Lift with parchment paper sides and set onto a cutting board. Cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) cubes with a serrated knife.
- To make PUMPKIN MOUSSE: Place cold water in a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over surface and let soften for 1 minute. Stir over low heat until dissolved. Add pumpkin purée, light brown sugar, nutmeg, ground ginger, cinnamon and salt. Mix until smooth and well blended.
- In a medium bowl, with electric beaters, whip 1 cup (250 ml) cream with ½ tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract until soft peaks form then gently fold into pumpkin mixture until well mixed.
- Beat remaining cream, sugar and 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, in a 2 quart (2 L) trifle bowl or deep serving dish, place half the gingerbread cubes, then top with half the crushed gingersnaps. Top gingernaps with half the pumpkin mousse, then half the whipped cream. Repeat layering with all remaining gingerbread, gingersnaps, mousse and cream. Alternatively, divide layers evenly amongst individual deep serving dishes. Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with sprinkling of candied ginger.