SALMON POKE BOWL
3 tbsp (45 ml) low sodium soy sauce
½ tsp (2 ml) finely grated ginger
3 tbsp (45 ml) unseasoned rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) mirin
2 tsp (10 ml) lime juice
1 tsp (5 ml) sriracha or sambal olek
1 tsp (5 ml) toasted sesame oil
2 green onions, white and light green part thinly sliced
2 tsp (10 ml) toasted white and/or black sesame seeds
8 oz (250 g) green tea soba n
1 lb (500 g) raw, sushi grade salmon (sockeye, spring or coho), cut into ¾-in (2 cm) dice
1 cup (250 ml) edamame beans, cooked
sea salt, to taste
1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced or diced
1 large purple carrot, julienned
1 large yellow beet, finely julienned
4 large radishes, sliced into thin rounds
finely shredded nori seaweed, for garnish
2 tbsp (30 ml) unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) granulated sugar
1 pinch red pepper chili flakes (optional)
2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced into rounds
sea salt, to taste
2-in (5 cm) piece daikon radish, cut into quarters and very thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, ginger, vinegar, mirin, lime juice, sriracha, sesame oil, green onion and sesame seeds. Transfer half the sauce to another medium bowl and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook soba noodles according to package directions, drain and rinse well under cold water until chilled, about 2 minutes. Allow to drain a couple of minutes before placing into one of the bowls containing dressing. Toss to coat noodles in dressing and set aside.
- In remaining bowl containing other half of dressing, add salmon and edamame. Gently toss to coat in dressing. Season to taste with salt.
- Divide noodles among serving bowls. Top with salmon mixture, some avocado, Quick-Pickled Vegetables, carrot, beet and radishes. Garnish salmon with a sprinkling of shredded nori, if desired.
- To make QUICK-PICKLED VEGETABLES: In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar and red pepper chili flakes, if using, until sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Toss cucumbers and a good pinch of salt in a sieve over a large bowl. Gently massage cucumbers to expel excess liquid. Stir cucumbers and daikon into sugar mixture. Cover and chill until cold, at least 30 minutes. Taste pickled vegetables and season with more salt, if desired. Makes about 1 cup (250 ml).