SALTED CARAMEL BRITTLE SEMIFREDDO WITH WARM FUDGE SAUCE
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
¾ tsp (4 ml) sea salt
cooking oil spray
6 large egg yolks
¾ cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
2 cups (500 ml) whipping cream
Caramel Sugar Garnish* (optional)
WARM FUDGE SAUCE:
5 tbsp (75 ml) whipping cream
2 oz (60 g) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 tsp (10 ml) corn syrup
- To make a salted brittle, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine sugar and sea salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and caramelizes. Immediately pour onto prepared baking sheet. Set aside for 10 minutes to set. Use a large sharp knife to coarsely chop the toffee when ready to fold into Semifreddo.
- Spray a 9 x 5-in (2 L) loaf pan2 with cooking oil and line with plastic wrap with a slight overhang.
- Place yolks and sugar in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure bottom of bowl does not touch water. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat egg yolks and sugar until pale, thick and creamy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Remove from heat. Beat for a further 2 to 3 minutes, or until cooled slightly.
- In a chilled bowl, whisk or beat whipping cream until soft peak forms. Fold gently into egg mixture along with half the chopped salted toffee. Pour into prepared pans. Fold over the plastic wrap overhangs to cover. Overwrap with another sheet of plastic wrap and place in freezer for 4 to 6 hours, or overnight, until set.
- Shortly before serving semifreddo, in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine Warm Fudge Sauce ingredients. Heat over low, stirring until smooth and viscous, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove semifreddo from freezer and set aside for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Turn onto a board and remove plastic wrap. Cut into slices and place on chilled serving plates. Top with Salted Toffee pieces and serve with Warm Fudge Sauce. Decorate with Caramel Sugar Garnish, if desired.
- *To make Caramel Sugar Garnish, in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat 1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar with 4 tbsp (60 ml) water. Bring to a boil until a light golden, about 320 F (160 C) on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes. When sugar is pliable, spin it around a wooden spoon handle, or drizzle a design on a lightly greased, foil-lined baking sheet. Be very careful, as syrup will be extremely hot. This garnish should be used within a day or so of making, or store in an extremely airtight container.