SPINACH AND RICOTTA PIE
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
1½ cups (375 ml) cubed pancetta, ½-in (1.25 cm) cubes
1 cup (250 ml) finely chopped green onions
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 x 10½ oz (300 g) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 lb (500 g) ricotta cheese
½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
¾ tsp (4 ml) pepper
1 pinch nutmeg
1 tsp (5 ml) dried basil leaves
¼ tsp (1 ml) paprika
1 lb (500 g) phyllo pastry, thawed
⅔ cup (150 ml) melted butter
¼ cup (60 ml) micro greens, for garnish (optional)
1 tbsp (15 ml) pine nuts, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium frying pan, fry pancetta. Drain off excess fat and set pancetta aside. In same pan, sauté green onions and garlic, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon, for about 2 minutes, until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Squeeze liquid from frozen spinach, should yield about 1½ cups (375 ml). In a large bowl, combine ricotta, spinach, sautéed green onions, garlic and pancetta. Lightly whisk together egg, salt, pepper, nutmeg, basil and paprika. Pour evenly over ricotta mixture and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C) and adjust rack to centre position. Generously grease bottom and sides of a 9-in (2.5 L) springform pan
- Unroll phyllo pastry flat onto a clean surface and cover with a tea towel. Place 1 phyllo sheet into springform pan to cover bottom and sides. Allow excess to hang over edge of pan. Generously brush some melted butter over pastry. Rotate pan slightly and place another phyllo sheet over, allowing excess pastry to hang over edge. Generously brush some more melted butter over pastry. Continue this process with additional 10 sheets rotating pan each time to cover all sides evenly.
- Add filling into pan and lightly flatten surface with offset spatula. Centre 1 phyllo sheet over filling and generously brush with melted butter. Rotate pan slightly and repeat layering phyllo sheets and brushing melted butter 3 more times. Loosely fold all excess pastry over top. The surface should look crumpled. Generously drizzle any remaining melted butter over top and bake until golden, about 30 to 40 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with micro greens and pine nuts, if using.