TORTIÈRE WITH HOMEMADE QUÉBÉCOIS GREEN KETCHUP
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
3 ⅓ cups (825 ml)
2 cups (500 ml) chilled unsalted butter, cubed
1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
¼ cup (60 ml) ice water
2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
12 medium white button mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine
1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
1½ lb (750 g) lean ground pork
½ tsp (2 ml) each, cinnamon, ground cloves, coarse ground black pepper
¼ tsp (1 ml) ground allspice
¾ cup (175 ml) russet potato, peeled and grated
flour, for rolling pastry
1 large egg yolk, beaten
QUÉBÉCOIS GREEN KETCHUP:
6 lbs (3 kg) medium green tomatoes, cleaned, coarsely chopped
3 lbs (1.5 kg) medium onions, about 15
1 cup (250 ml) coarse salt
3 green apples, peeled, cored and diced
3 celery stalks, diced
2 cups (500 ml) white vinegar
1 cup (250 ml) cider vinegar
2 cups (500 ml) sugar
⅓ cup (75 ml) mixed pickling spices, tied in
2 tbsp (30 ml) mustard seeds
2 tbsp (30 ml) celery seeds, optional
- To make BUTTER PASTRY: Place flour, butter and salt in a food processor and pulse until pea-sized pieces form. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the ice water until just combined, adding more ice water if too dry. Divide dough in half and flatten each half to a 1-in (2.5 cm) disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- To make TORTIÈRE: Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic, sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Add wine to deglaze bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef, pork and spices. Cook, stirring to break up the meat into small pieces, until pork is cooked through. Mix in potato and cook until potato is soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and chill, about 2 hours.
- Roll out 1 disk of dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-in (30 cm) round and transfer to a lined 9-in (23 cm) pie dish, leaving overhang. Fill with cooled meat mixture. Roll out remaining dough disk into a 10-in (25 cm) round. Place dough over the meat filling, then fold the edges of pastry together and crimp, brush with egg yolk. Cut 3 slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. Chill for 1 hour.
- Bake tortière for 30 minutes, reduce heat to 350 F (180 C) and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 40 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool 20 minutes before serving.
- To make QUÉBÉCOIS GREEN KETCHUP:In a large non-reactive container, alternate layers of tomatoes and onions, sprinkling each layer with salt. Loosely cover and let stand overnight in a cool area. Drain well, removing as much water as possible.
- In a large stockpot, combine strained vegetables, chopped apples and celery with vinegars, sugar, spice bag, mustard seeds and celery seeds. Heat over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered for about 1½ hours, stirring frequently. Remove cheesecloth spice bag and pour into hot, sterilized jars.
THE NEW ÉCLAIRS
1 x Basic Choux Pastry (make ahead, see BASIC CHOUX PASTRY RECIPE)
10 oz (300 g) Fondant
food colouring, colour and quantity as needed
3 large eggs
⅓ cup (75 ml) granulated sugar
Pistachio, Raspberry or Lemon Flavouring
6 tbsp (90 ml) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
⅓ cup (75 ml) pistachio paste
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla
3 oz (90 g) raspberries, puréed and strained
1 tsp (5 ml) almond extract
½ cup (125 ml) strained lemon juice
1 tsp (5 ml) ginger syrup
- Prepare BASIC CHOUX PASTRY as per Master Recipe up to step 4. Place dough in a pastry bag fitted with a ½-in (1.25 cm) plain tip (or Wilton 4B1 tip that will produce ridged éclairs). Pipe éclairs 4-in (10 cm) in length directly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. To help with size, draw stencils on parchment and place, drawn-side down, on baking sheet. Bake éclairs for 15 minutes or until well puffed and golden, then lower oven to 325 F (170 C) and continue to bake another 30 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely on baking sheet. Will keep for 2 to 3 days in refrigerator in a covered container.
- Prepare ÉCLAIR FILLING: In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together eggs and sugar until light in colour.
- Depending on flavour preference, add one of either pistachio paste, strained raspberry purée or strained lemon juice to the saucepan. Add cut butter and whisk constantly until butter is melted and mixture is thick. Simmer gently for a few seconds. Pour into a fine meshed sieve set over a bowl. Then, for pistachio flavouring stir in vanilla, for raspberry stir in almond extract, and for lemon stir in ginger syrup. Cover with plastic wrap pressed into surface of filling to prevent skin from forming, and refrigerate to thicken.
- Pierce bottom of éclairs in 2 or 3 places and fill with desired prepared filling using a piping bag.
- To make GLAZE: Heat 10 oz (300 g) fondant in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat just until melted. Stir in food colouring, as desired. Dip éclair tops into fondant, removing excess. Alternately, buy coloured fondant and roll out into a thin sheet. Cut size to fit éclairs and press down to adhere.
- Decorate as desired.
WINNING CHOCOLATE ROSEMARY POPCORN
½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
5 sprigs fresh rosemary
½ cup (125 ml) popcorn kernels
½ cup (125 ml) chopped dark chocolate
1 tbsp (15 ml) sea salt flakes
- In a large frying pan, place olive oil and 5 sprigs rosemary. Set over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat and transfer rosemary to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat infused olive oil over medium-high heat. Add popcorn kernels, cover and gently shake pan every 30 seconds until you hear popping. Once popping is constant, gently shake pot back and forth continually over burner. When popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove pan from heat, remove lid and pour popcorn immediately over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Gently melt chocolate in a double boiler. Remove crispy rosemary leaves from stems and coarsely chop.
- Drizzle popcorn with warm melted chocolate; then sprinkle with chopped rosemary and sea salt. Set popcorn aside at room temperature allowing chocolate to harden, about 2 hours.
- Just before serving, break up popcorn and transfer to a serving bowl. Popcorn may be made a day ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.
TROPICAL FRUIT AND ROSEMARY WHITE CHOCOLATE BARS
IngredientsServes 42 Bars
2 lbs (1 kg) white chocolate
1 tbsp (15 ml) minced fresh rosemary
¼ tsp (1 ml) sea salt
¼ cup (60 ml) finely diced candied kiwi
¼ cup (60 ml) finely diced candied pineapple
¼ cup (60 ml) finely diced candied papaya
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped slivered almonds
- Lightly oil a 10 x 15-in (20 x 38 cm) jelly roll pan and line with plastic wrap with edges extending over sides of pan.
- To make bars, coarsely chop white chocolate and place in a double boiler or a large bowl over simmering water. Stir gently as it begins to melt. Remove from heat just before fully melted and continue stirring until smooth.
- Stir in rosemary and salt until evenly distributed and salt has dissolved. Transfer chocolate to prepared jelly roll pan and spread out evenly, then top with candied kiwi, pineapple, papaya and almonds.
- Set bars aside for a couple of hours to slightly firm. Then score the surface into bars before refrigerating for several hours until fully firm.
- Separate into bars and store in a tightly covered container in a cool place until ready to serve.
SWEET HEAT POPCORN
¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted butter
2 tsp (10 ml) buffalo wing hot sauce
1 tbsp (15 ml) liquid honey
¼ tsp (1 ml) smoked paprika or cayenne pepper
½ tsp (2 ml) fine salt
10 cups (2.5 L) freshly popped popcorn
⅓ cup (75 ml) crumbled blue cheese
½ cup (125 ml) roasted natural almonds
- In a small saucepan, stir together butter, hot sauce, honey, paprika and salt over medium heat. Stir until butter has melted and sauce is well combined.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl. Drizzle with hot sauce mixture and sprinkle with blue cheese before tossing to coat popcorn in sauce. Garnish popcorn with roasted almonds and serve immediately.
TEQUILA LIME CHICKEN
IngredientsServes filling for about 12 tacos
1 lime, zest
½ cup + 2 tbsp (155 ml) lime juice
¾ cup (175 ml) orange juice
¼ cup (60 ml) gold tequila
1 tbsp (15 ml) clover honey
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup (60 ml) roughly chopped cilantro leaves, plus extra for garnish
2 tbsp (30 ml) kosher salt
1 tbsp (15 ml) smoked chili powder
2 tsp (10 ml) ground black pepper
1.5 lbs (750 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) chunks
1 red onion, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) chunks
- In a stainless steel or glass bowl, whisk together all ingredients except chicken and red onion until well combined and salt has dissolved. Add chicken and stir to coat in marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, soak about 12 wooden skewers in water.
- When ready to cook chicken, preheat grill over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and save marinade. Place marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil for 1 minute before removing from heat.
- Thread chicken pieces onto soaked skewers alternating chicken with a few pieces of red onion. Grill chicken skewers, brushing often with reserved marinade, and turning often until chicken is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer to a platter, garnish with additional cilantro and serve.
WHITE LASAGNA WITH CHERRY TOMATO AND MOZZARELLA SALAD
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
PARMESAN BÉCHAMEL SAUCE:
½ cup (125 ml) butter
½ cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
4 cups (1 L) whole milk
1 cup (250 ml) grated Parmesan
1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped fresh rosemary
½ tsp (2 ml) each dried marjoram and thyme
3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) minced garlic, divided
2½ lbs (1.25 kg) ground chicken or turkey
2 tbsp (30 ml) dry white wine
½ lb (250 ml) white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 lb (500 g) fresh spinach leaves, chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) Tabasco
1 lb (500 g) whole-milk ricotta
1 large egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup (60 ml) each, coarsely chopped fresh basil and flat-leaf parsley
2 cups (500 ml) grated mozzarella
12 to 16 7 x 3 ½-in (18 x 9 cm) no-boil lasagna noodles
½ cup (125 ml) grated Parmesan
CHERRY TOMATO AND MOZZARELLA SALAD:
1 basket (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
½ head radicchio, core removed, thinly sliced
½ small red onion, finely julienned
2 tbsp (30) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
16 baby bocconcini balls or 2 fresh mozzarella balls, sliced
¼ cup (60 ml) fresh basil leaves, torn
½ cup (125 ml) mixed olives
1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 ml) red wine vinegar
- PARMESAN BÉCHAMEL SAUCE: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring until well blended. Whisk in milk in a steady stream and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth. Stir in Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- FILLING: Mix together dried herbs, set aside. Heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and half the garlic. Sauté until almost soft, add chicken and half the herb mixture until cooked through. Remove chicken to a large bowl, keeping liquid in the pan.
- Add wine to pan and bring mixture to a boil. Add mushrooms and spinach. Cook covered until spinach is wilted. Stir in remaining garlic, mixed herbs and Tabasco, season with salt and pepper. Continue to sauté, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until all liquid has evaporated. Transfer mixture to chicken and mix well to combine, reserving 1½ cups (375 ml) of the béchamel sauce. Add remaining sauce to chicken-spinach mixture and stir until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Butter a 13 x 9-in (3 L) baking dish. In a bowl, mix together ricotta, beaten egg, basil and parsley, season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the reserved béchamel sauce onto the bottom of the baking dish and cover with 3 lasagna noodles, making sure they do not touch each other. Spread half of the chicken-spinach mixture over pasta and sprinkle with half mozzarella. Top with another 3 noodles. Continue layering, ending with pasta. Spread remaining béchamel sauce over top. Lasagna can be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated, covered tightly.
- Cover with foil and bake in centre of oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle top with Parmesan. Bake another 8 to 10 minutes until bubbling and golden. Garnish with chopped flat-leaf parsley.
ZUCCHINI AND CARROT SALAD
1 zucchini, shaved thinly on a mandolin or with a vegetable peeler
1 carrot, shaved thinly on a mandolin or with a vegetable peeler
pinch of ground cumin, toasted
pinch of preserved lemon, chopped finely
2 black cured olives, chopped roughly
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
pinch freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp (15 ml) pistachio nuts, toasted and chopped roughly
2 tbsp (30 ml) feta cheese, cubed
2 tbsp (30 ml) mint, roughly chopped
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl, except for the pistachio, feta and mint. Adjust seasoning to taste. The preserved lemon, olives and feta are all salty, so you may not need salt.
- Garnish the salad with the pistachios, feta, and mint.
VIETNAMESE PORK MEATBALL BANH MI
IngredientsServes 6 or makes about 30 meatballs
PICKLED CARROTS AND DAIKON:
2 cups (500 ml) each peeled and coarsely grated carrots and daikon radish
¼ cup (60 ml) unseasoned rice vinegar
¼ cup (60 ml) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) coarse kosher salt
1½ lbs (750 g) lean ground pork
½ cup (125 ml) finely chopped yellow onion
⅓ cup (75 ml) finely chopped water chestnuts
3 tbsp (45 ml) each finely chopped cilantro and green onion
½ tsp (2 ml) white pepper
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) granulated sugar
1½ tbsp (22 ml) cornstarch
2 tsp (10 ml) toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
1½ tbsp (22 ml) Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1 large egg
1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil, plus extra if needed
HOT CHILI MAYO:
⅔ cup (150 ml) mayonnaise
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) hot chili sauce such as Sriracha
6 Vietnamese buns or substitute Portuguese, torpedo or soft baguettes
jalapeño slices and cilantro, for garnish
- To make PICKLED CARROTS AND DAIKON: Toss ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Let sit at least 1 hour, tossing occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheatovento300F(150C). To make PORK MEATBALLS: In a large bowl combine pork, onion, water chestnuts, cilantro and green onion. In a smaller bowl whisk together pepper, salt, sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine and egg. Pour over meat mixture and mix well to blend.
- With damp hands, form meatballs into Ping-Pong-sized meatballs, about 2 tbsp (30 ml) each. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and set aside.
- To make HOT CHILI MAYO: Mix together mayonnaise, chopped green onions and hot chili sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Inalargenon-stickfryingpan,heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs, avoiding crowding, and sauté until brown and cooked through, 15 minutes. Turn meatballs often, reducing heat if browning too quickly. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in preheated oven. Repeat with remaining meatballs, adding more oil if necessary.
- To assemble, cut each bun in half. Pull out enough bread from each half to leave 1⁄2-in (0.5 cm) thick shell. Spread Hot Chili Mayo over each bread shell. Arrange jalapeños, then cilantro in bottom halves. Fill each with 4 to 6 meatballs. Drain pickled vegetables; place on top of meatballs. Press on baguette tops.
TURKEY RILLETTES CROSTINI WITH CELERIAC SALAD
IngredientsServes about 40 crostini
1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium-sized shallot, peeled, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp (10 ml) chopped fresh thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
2 slices of bacon
2½ cups (625 ml) cooked, shredded, dark turkey meat
½ cup (125 ml) duck fat, divided
1½ cups (375 ml) low-sodium turkey stock
1 tbsp (15 ml) cognac
1 sourdough baguette, ½-in (1 cm) rounds
1½ tsp (7 ml) cumin seeds
1 lemon, halved, divided
½ small celeriac
1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp (2 ml) liquid clover honey
salt, to taste
¾ cup (175 ml) chopped fresh parsley
½ cup (125 ml) pomegranate seeds
- To make TURKEY RILLETTES: Warm oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add finely chopped shallot and cook, stirring often, until starting to caramelize. Stir in garlic, thyme and pinch of salt and pepper. Allow to cook another minute. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add bacon to a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, turning once or twice, until crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Chop into small pieces.
- In a food processor, add shredded turkey meat, shallot mixture, bacon and 2 tbsp (30ml) duck fat. Pulse until well combined and turkey is finely chopped. Slowly add 1⁄2 cup (125 ml) stock, pulsing to combine, before adding another 2 tbsp (30 ml) duck fat, pulsing until well combined. Continue alternating remaining stock and duck fat until mixture is spreadable but still slightly chunky. You may not need all the stock. Stir in cognac and season to taste. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Turkey Rillettes may be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). To make crostini, place baguette rounds on a baking sheet in a single layer, leaving about 1⁄2-in (1 cm) between each. Lightly brush both sides with a little olive oil before baking until crisp and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Allow to cool completely on baking tray.
- Before serving, make CELERIAC SALAD: In a dry frying pan, toast cumin seeds over medium heat until fragrant, 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Half fill a medium bowl with cold water and squeeze in juice of half a lemon. Trim celeriac and cut into 1⁄2-in (1 cm) half moons. Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler, slice celeriac into thin strips. Add strips to lemon water as they are cut to prevent browning.
- In a small bowl, whisk together juice from remaining lemon half, oil, honey and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together parsley, pomegranate seeds, cumin and thoroughly drained celeriac strips. Pour dressing over salad and toss well to coat. Season to taste with more salt.
- Spread 1 tbsp (15 ml) turkey rillettes over crostini. Top with celeriac salad and serve.