Every year, customers return around 78 million empty alcohol beverage containers to BC Liquor Stores for recycling. Thank you for doing your part to reduce our impact on the environment!
Customers returning empty containers will be paid a full deposit refund at the rates set by the BC Recycling Regulation. As of November 2019, all beverage containers – regardless of size – are subject to a deposit of $0.10.
Empty beverage containers that are being returned to BC Liquor Stores must be clean and empty of liquid. Staff must also be able to determine the product was sold by a BC Liquor Store. That means:
- Aluminum cans cannot be crushed beyond recognition;
- Bottles must have their original label; and
- Bag-in-box wine containers must be whole (cardboard exterior and the interior, plastic bladder)
The Recycling Regulation also limits the number of empty beverage containers customers may return to 24 per person, per day. To return an unlimited number of containers, please visit depots in your community.
There are two programs that manage beverage containers in the province through depots: Encorp Pacific and the BC Brewers Recycling Container Collection Council (BRCCC).
- Encorp Pacific operates Return-It depots, which manage and provide a full deposit refund on plastic and glass beverage alcohol bottles and containers, non-refillable beer bottles, and bag-in-a-box wine casks. It is up to the discretion of the depot operator as to whether a refund is provided for refillable beer bottles and aluminum cans, as those containers are managed through BRCCC. Please visit Return-It’s website to find the depot in your area and learn more about the program.
- BRCCC manages and provides a full deposit refund on beverage alcohol cans, bottles, and aluminum containers over 1 litre (mini kegs, growlers, etc.) It is up to the discretion of the depot operator as to whether a refund is provided for containers managed through the Return-It program listed above. Please visit BRCCC’s website to find an authorized collection location and learn more about the program.
DID YOU KNOW...
BC is one of the only places in North America that were returned glass bottles are recycled back into new glass bottles? Watch the video here to find out more.
Every year, BC Liquor Stores recycle thousands of tonnes of cardboard and shrink wrap used to transport liquor products from our distribution centres to our retail stores.
To further reduce the impact on the environment, BC Liquor Stores encourage customers to use a reusable bag to carry out their purchases. Reusable bags and paper bags may be purchased in BC Liquor Stores.
Our paper bags made from 40 per cent post-consumer recycled material. They are 100% compostable and 100% recyclable through curbside collection programs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
The BC Liquor Distribution Branch’s (LDB’s) Special Orders department is pleased to consider customer requests to order products that are not currently available in British Columbia.
Customers who are considering submitting a request for this premium service should be aware that:
- This service is exclusively available to British Columbia residents, as the product must be purchased and picked up from a BC Liquor Store.
- This service is for beverage alcohol products only. De-alcoholized products cannot be ordered.
- All Special Orders must be ordered by the LDB directly from a Supplier or through another Canadian liquor board.
- Typically, the final cost for special order products is significantly higher than the retail price in the country of origin after exchange rates, mark up, freight, taxes and duty are applied.
- Once an order is placed, the import process may take up to six months depending on the product's point of origin.
- There are minimum order requirements associated with all special orders:
|Wine||2 case minimum||2 case minimum||2 case minimum|
|Spirits||1 case minimum||2 case minimum||2 case minimum|
|Beer / refreshment||10 case minimum||1 pallet* minimum||Not available for SO|
|Shipping Cost||$80 minimum||$200 minimum||$400 minimum|
*pallet = 80 cases (24 cans/bottles per case)
In order to submit a special order request, customers should provide us with as many details as possible by using this electronic form. If there is a local agent who represents the product requested, we will refer the customer to the agent directly. Otherwise, we will source the product and provide the customer with cost and delivery information.
Products requested through a special order request are subject to the same LDB product guidelines and social responsibility policies as products registered for sale in B.C.
Please note that, in cases where a product is not available in BC Liquor Stores or via special order, our knowledgeable BC Liquor Store teams are happy to provide customers with excellent, comparable product recommendations from within the local store’s inventory that will suit their taste and budget. Customers can visit store locator to find a store near them.
Download the form (PDF format) below, obtain the form from any BC Liquor Store, request by email to email@example.com or contact the Special Orders desk at 604-252-8813.
Complete the form with as much information as possible. The more information you have (about the product), the quicker it can be processed.
Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The LDB will contact the supplier to request pricing and minimum order quantities. If there is a local agent who represents the product requested, we will refer the customer to the agent directly. If the product is available, all applicable costs (e.g. freight charges, duties, taxes, markups) will be calculated. An estimated retail price per bottle and case will be determined. This quoted price is subject to change based on final confirmation by the Supplier.
We will contact you with the estimated retail price for your review and approval to proceed with the order. You will have two weeks to confirm the order by email to email@example.com.
Upon receiving your confirmation, LDB will place your order with the supplier.
When your product arrives, we will arrange delivery of the product to the BCLS location you requested on the order form. The BCLS will contact you directly when the product is available for pick up.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Product Consultants are available to help customers with product selections at Signature™ BC Liquor Stores. Product Consultants provide you with more in-depth information on products and to provide product advice including:
- Arranging a comprehensive wine tasting
- Finding the right product for the occasion
- Learning more about products (product knowledge)
- Starting and maintaining a wine cellar
We encourage you to speak to a Product Consultant for any product-related questions. Visit or call any of our Signature™ BC Liquor Stores for more information.
What is BC Liquor Stores' policy on returning products?
You can return any product purchased at BC Liquor Stores with a valid receipt or gift receipt to any BC Liquor Store.
- it must be no more than 60 days since the date of purchase;
- the product must be in saleable condition;
- refunds will be processed in the original method of tender; returns made with gift receipts will be processed on a gift card.
What is saleable condition?
This means that the product:
- is unopened with caps, seals, labels, and original packaging intact and with no visible tampering;
- is in its original condition;
- is in its original selling unit (e.g. full case); and
- has no evidence of deterioration with age.
How many products can I return at any given time?
There is no limit to the number or value of products returned at any given time. However, if the value of the product returned is equal to or exceeds $2,500 excluding tax, the return is subject to a 10% restocking fee and will be processed through the BC Liquor Stores’ Head Office.
Can I return gift cards?
Gift cards cannot be returned.