2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
1 tbsp (15 ml) anchovy paste
1 large garlic clove, grated
½ lemon, zest only
2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
½ tsp (2.5 ml) sugar
¼ tsp (1 ml) ground pepper
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
1 x 14 oz (396 g) package frozen puff pastry, defrosted according to package instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine butter, tomato paste, anchovy paste, garlic, lemon zest and juice, sugar, pepper and Tabasco.
- Roll out puff pastry to a 9½-in x 15-in (24 x 38 cm) rectangle. Spread anchovy mixture evenly over puff pastry, making sure to reach all the way to edges.
- Tightly roll bottom of pastry toward the middle, stopping at centre. Then, roll top of pastry down to meet in centre. Place pastry roll in refrigerator for 1 hour, or freezer for 20 minutes, to firm it up.
- Slice roll into ½-in (1.25 cm) rounds and arrange on lined baking sheet. Transfer pan to refrigerator for 10 minutes, or freezer for 5 minutes, to firm up pastry again.
- Bake palmiers for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through, rotating pan after 10 minutes. Transfer palmiers to a wire rack and allow to cool. Will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.