ANTIPASTO VEGETABLE NOODLE SALAD
2 thick carrots, trimmed and peeled
2 zucchini, about 8-in (20 cm) long, trimmed
1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, reserve the fronds
½ small red onion, peeled
1 cup (250 ml) halved, small heirloom
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin julienne strips
1 tbsp + 3 tbsp (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 slices prosciutto
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
1 small smashed and minced garlic
2 tsp (10 ml) minced fresh oregano
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
pinch of sugar, optional
½ cup (125 ml) small, green, pitted olives
2 tbsp (30 ml) pine nuts, toasted
3 tbsp (45 ml) finely grated Parmesan
2 tbsp (30 ml) slivered fresh basil leaves
- Using a hand-held vegetable peeler, or a vegetable spiralizer, shave carrots and zucchini into long thin strips or spiralized curls and place in a large bowl. Very finely dice any remaining vegetable cores and add to bowl.
- Thinly slice fennel and red onion using a mandolin, separate into rings and add to vegetables along with cherry tomatoes and julienne strips of yellow pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in large frying pan. As soon as it almost begins to smoke, add prosciutto and gently fry over medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a paper towellined plate to drain. When cool enough to handle, crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 3 tbsp (45 ml) oil, lemon juice and garlic. Whisk together to blend. Whisk in minced oregano until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add sugar, if desired.
- When ready to serve salad, give olive oil dressing a quick whisk and drizzle over vegetables. Gently toss to evenly coat. Note: Do not toss salad with dressing until immediately before serving, or salad will water out. Divide among serving plates and scatter with olives, pine nuts, Parmesan and basil. Place a couple of pieces prosciutto on top and serve.