ASPARAGUS RIBBON SALAD WITH FRESH BURRATA
1 tbsp (15 ml) unsalted butter
2 oz (60 g) shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
salt and pepper, for seasoning
½ lb (250 g) fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed
½ small head frisée lettuce, outer leaves trimmed
½ small head radicchio, trimmed and leaves separated
4 assorted radishes, trimmed
¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
2 tsp (10 ml) minced fresh tarragon
1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
⅓ cup (75 ml) burrata cheese
¼ cup (60 ml) pine nuts, toasted
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Add sliced shiitakes and sauté over medium heat until golden. Season with a little salt and pepper and set aside.
- Meanwhile, wash and blot dry trimmed asparagus spears. Working with 1 spear at a time, use a vegetable peeler to shave spears into long, thin ribbons. Transfer ribbons to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Wash and spin-dry trimmed frisée and separate into bite-sized leaves. Add to asparagus. Repeat with radicchio. Thinly shave radishes on a mandolin, or cut with a paring knife into paper-thin slices, then add to asparagus and greens.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, juice, tarragon and mustard. Whisk vigorously until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently toss asparagus and greens with cooled shiitakes in bowl. Place equal amounts on 4 individual serving plates. Using a small spoon, drop little bits of soft burrata cheese onto each serving and sprinkle with pine nuts. Give oil dressing a quick whisk and drizzle over top. Dust with fresh pepper to taste and serve.