Avocado Lime EntremetsHandheld spring desserts to offer at your next picnic or garden party.
2 large avocados
1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh lime juice
⅓ cup (75 ml) + 1¼ cups (310 ml) sugar, divided
1 pinch salt
5 sachets gelatin, divided
2 tbsp (30ml) warm water
1 cup (250 ml) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp (5 ml) lime zest
12 Lime Jellies, make ahead, recipe follows
2 tbsp (30 ml) + ⅔ cup (150 ml) water
⅔ cup (150 ml) condensed milk
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
12 oz (340 g) white chocolate, finely chopped
12 Almond Sables, make ahead, recipe follows
½ cup (125 ml) ground pistachios for garnish
raspberries and mint, for garnish
- Cut avocados in half and scoop out flesh. Discard seeds and skin.
- In blender, mix avocados, lime juice, ⅓ cup (75 ml) sugar and salt until smooth.
- In a small heatproof bowl, bloom 2 sachets of gelatin in warm water, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until no lumps remain. Add avocado mixture and mix well.
- . Place bowl of bloomed gelatin in bowl of hot water until gelatin melts, about 2 minutes. Stir well until fully melted, then add to avocado mixture along with lime zest. Mix well until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture into twelve 2½-in (6.25 cm) domed silicone moulds, filling halfway up each dome. Add 1 Lime Jelly into each dome, flat-side facing up (if jellies are domed). Press lightly. Top with additional avocado mousse. Smooth surface with offset spatula and refrigerate for about 4 hours. Then freeze for at least another 2 hours before assembly.
- To prepare a mirror glaze before assembly, in a small bowl, bloom 3 sachets of gelatin in 2 tbsp (30 ml) water, for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring remaining ⅔ cup (150 ml) water, 1¼ cups (310 ml) sugar, condensed milk and vanilla extract to a gentle simmer. Turn off heat and stir in bloomed gelatin. Mix thoroughly.
- Place chopped white chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Pour hot condensed milk mixture through sieve over white chocolate and allow to melt, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Fully submerge immersion blender into melted white chocolate and blend until smooth without lifting blender while it is on. This avoids trapping air that can cause bubbles.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into large bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool mixture for about 15 to 25 minutes, until 92 F (33 C). It is ready to pour over avocado mousse dome at this point.
- To assemble, place a wire rack over a baking sheet. Place Almond Sables on wire rack about 2-in (5 cm) apart. Invert frozen avocado mousse domes over sables.
- Pour mirror glaze over mousse domes to fully coat, catching excess drips in baking sheet under wire rack. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Discard remaining mirror glaze or store for future use. Can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Heat gently and mix until it is liquid, then cool to 92 F (33 C) to use as glaze on fruits or other desserts, as desired.
- Using a small offset spatula, gently transfer mousse domes to serving plates. Note: mousse domes will be sticky to touch.
- Garnish base of each dome with ground pistachios and top with raspberries and mint, as desired.