BAKED BRIE WITH BLACKBERRY POMEGRANATE COMPOTE AND SPICED NUTS
1 cup (250 ml) natural almonds and/or cashews
1½ tsp (7 ml) unsalted butter, melted
1½ tbsp (22 ml) light brown sugar
1 tbsp + 1 tsp (20 ml) clover honey, divided
¼ tsp (1 ml) ground cinnamon
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
¼ tsp (1 ml) smoked paprika
¼ tsp (1 ml) cayenne
2 cups (500 ml) blackberries, divided, plus more for garnish
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
½ cup (125 ml) pomegranate seeds
2 x 7 oz (200 g) wheels or 1 x 16 oz (500 g) wheel of goat’s brie
fresh thyme or rosemary leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Place almonds and/or cashews on a parchment-lined baking tray, and toast in oven for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together butter, sugar, 1 tsp (5 ml) honey, cinnamon, salt, paprika and cayenne. Add hot toasted nuts and coat evenly in mixture. Spread coated nuts in a single layer on parchment-lined baking tray and place back in oven. Bake 12 more minutes, stirring every 4 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together 1 cup (250 ml) blackberries, lemon juice, vanilla and remaining honey over medium-low heat. As berries begin to release their liquid, increase heat to medium and, stirring often, cook until mixture is reduced and liquid is syrupy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Gently fold in remaining blackberries and pomegranate seeds.
- Carefully slice rind from top of each brie and discard. Place brie in a parchmentlined baking dish just large enough to hold brie, and bake until warm and melted, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer baking dish to a serving platter and top brie with blackberry pomegranate compote and candied nuts. Garnish with fresh blackberries and thyme or rosemary leaves, if desired. Enjoy warm with crackers.