BEEF BRACIOLE WITH TOMATO SAUCE
4 tbsp (60 ml) sunflower oil, divided
2 small yellow onions, diced, divided
4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
6 pancetta slices, diced
4 cups (1 L) chopped spinach
1姨� cups (375 ml) bread crumbs
1 cup (250 ml) grated mozzarella
1 to 1姨� lbs (500 to 750 g) flank steak (ask butcher to butterfly)
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) Dijon mustard
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 x 19 oz (540 ml) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup (250 ml) chopped sun-dried tomatoes
5 sprigs thyme
- To make filling, in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil. Add 1 diced onion and 2 minced garlic cloves. Once onions are translucent, remove from skillet into a medium-sized bowl.
- In same skillet, cook pancetta until crispy. Add pancetta to bowl of onions and garlic then return skillet to stove to cook spinach. Once spinach has wilted, add to bowl and let cool completely. Once mixture has cooled, add bread crumbs and mozzarella.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Lay flank steak on a cutting board covered with plastic wrap. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper. Using a meat mallet, pound steak until 姨�-in (1.25 cm) thick.
- Remove parchment and spread mustard evenly over steak, then sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Starting from closest end to you, roll meat into a log. Tie Braciole with butcher占쎌뀼 twine so it holds together while cooking.
- In a Dutch oven over high heat, heat remaining sunflower oil. Sear all sides of Braciole then set aside.
- To make sauce, in same Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add remaining diced onions and garlic. Saut梨� for 5 minutes then add crushed tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Return Braciole to Dutch oven, cover and place in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and plate with sauce, as desired.