BISON TENDERLOIN WITH SEASONAL VEGETABLES
1 lb (500 ml) yams or sweet potatoes
2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
3 tbsp (45 ml) whipping cream
⅛ tsp (0.5 ml) smoked paprika
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
1 pinch of cayenne
GINGER AND MAPLE SYRUP-GLAZED HEIRLOOM CARROTS:
1 lb (500 g) baby heirloom carrots
½ tbsp (7 ml) olive oil
¼ tsp (1 ml) sea salt
1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
1 tsp (5 ml) finely minced peeled ginger root
½ tbsp (7 ml) pure maple syrup
6 tbsp (90 ml) butter, softened
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 tsp (5 ml) each finely chopped fresh tarragon, chives and thyme
2 tsp (10 ml) fine sea salt
1 tsp (5 ml) freshly ground black pepper
4 x 8 oz (1 kg) bison fillets, each 1½-in (4 cm) thick
2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
SAUTÉED BRUSSELS SPROUTS LEAVES:
1 lb (500 ml) large Brussels sprouts
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped shallots
1 tsp (5 ml) chopped fresh thyme leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the YAM PURÉE: Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Place rack in middle of oven and line a baking pan with foil. Prick potatoes all over with a fork. Place in prepared baking dish and bake until tender, about 1 hour.
- When cool enough to handle, peel skin and remove any eyes. Cut into 2-in (5 cm) pieces, place in a mixing bowl with remaining Purée ingredients. Whip with an electric mixer until smooth. Cover and set aside. Purée can be made ahead and reheated.
- Increase oven temperature to 475 F (240 C). Toss carrots with olive oil and sea salt until evenly coated. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Heat butter, ginger and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Mix well. Drizzle over carrots on baking sheet and stir to coat. Return carrots to oven and roast another 8 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Remove from oven, cover and set aside to keep warm.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F (180C). In a small bowl make a herbed butter, mixing together butter, garlic, tarragon, chives and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.
- Mix together sea salt and pepper. Rub mixture on bison fillets to season. Heat oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Add fillets and sear, 2 minutes per side. Transfer pan to oven and cook, 5 minutes for rare, 7 minutes for medium- rare. Remove and cover loosely with foil. Allow to rest 8 minutes before serving. Garnish fillets with flaked sea or coarse salt.
- While tenderloin is resting, prepare sprouts. Rinse and drain and cut about 1⁄4-in (1 ml) off stem end of each. Then begin peeling leaves. Discard cores. Rinse leaves in cold water and drain well, set aside.
- Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil, shallots, sprout leaves and thyme. Stir until leaves are bright green and slightly wilted but still crunchy, 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve tenderloin with YamPurée, GlazedCarrots, Sautéed Sprouts and a generous dollop of Herbed Butter on tenderloins.