BUBBLY BEER MACARONI AND CHEESE
1 tsp (5 ml) butter
½ medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp (5 ml) dry mustard
1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
½ tsp (2 ml) black pepper
¼ cup (60 ml) stout or porter beer
½ cup (125 ml) whipping cream
½ cup (125 ml) whole milk
1 cup (250 ml) cream cheese
1 cup (250 ml) shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup (125 ml) shredded aged cheddar cheese
2 cups (500 ml) dry elbow macaroni
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Add dry mustard, salt and pepper and stir in to blend.
- Add beer and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down heat to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add cream, milk and cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix mozzarella and cheddar cheese together. Add ¾ of cheese mixture to pot and stir until just melted. Set remaining cheese aside.
- Meanwhile, add macaroni to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook according to package instructions. Thoroughly drain macaroni once cooked and add to cheese sauce. Fold in to evenly blend.
- Spoon into 4 individual greased ovenproof baking dishes large enough to contain macaroni and cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce bubbles.