CANTONESE ROAST CHICKEN
IngredientsServes 4 to 6 as part of a multi-course meal
HOISIN ORANGE-GINGER SAUCE:
¾ cup (175 ml) hoisin sauce
3 tbsp (45 ml) rice vinegar
½ cup (125 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp (5 ml) finely minced ginger
2 green onions, minced
2 tbsp (30 ml) sesame oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
GINGER SOY DIPPING SAUCE:
1 tbsp (15 ml) dark soy sauce
1 tbsp (15 ml) light soy sauce
1 tbsp (15 ml) minced ginger
2 tbsp (30 ml) minced green onion
2 tsp (10 ml) sesame oil
1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
CANTONESE ROAST CHICKEN:
1 large whole roasting chicken, about 6½ lbs (3 kg), cleaned thoroughly and dried
2 tbsp (30 ml) Chinese rice wine vinegar
4 tbsp (60 ml) Shao-Hsing wine or sherry
2 ½ tsp (12 ml) salt
¼ tsp (1 ml) white pepper
¼ tsp (1 ml) Chinese 5 spice, optional
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 large slice ginger, lightly smashed
2 green onions, quartered, white portions only, lightly smashed
1 cup (250 ml) water
cilantro sprigs and sliced green onion, for garnish
- To make HOISIN ORANGE-GINGER SAUCE: In a mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients and season to taste. Cover and set aside to develop flavours.
- To make GINGER SOY DIPPING SAUCE: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and allow to infuse for 15 minutes before serving.
- To make CANTONESE ROAST CHICKEN: Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Place chicken in a roasting pan and rub all over with rice vinegar, then with rice wine. Sprinkle with salt, then with white pepper. Place 2 to 3 slices of garlic on chicken at random, between the skin and the meat. Place ginger, green onions, and 2 more garlic slices in the chicken cavity. Place chicken on a rack in roasting pan, breast-side up, and dot with a couple slices of garlic. Add water to roasting pan.
- Place the chicken in oven and roast for 10 minutes. Lower temperature to 375 F (190 C) and roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, turn over and dot with remaining garlic slices. With a fork, pierce the skin all over. Return chicken to the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over again, breast side up, and pierce skin to ensure fat runs off. Lower oven to 350 F (180 C) and roast for 30 to 40 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before serving. Chop into 2-in (5 cm) bone-in pieces, garnish with cilantro and green onion and serve with dipping sauces.