CARROT, CUCUMBER AND JICAMA SALAD WITH SMOKY GRILLED LAMB
2 lbs (1 kg) well-trimmed boneless leg of lamb, cut into 3 equal pieces
2 tbsp + ¼ cup (90 ml) olive oil, divided
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin, divided
salt and pepper, to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) rice wine vinegar
1 tsp (5 ml) liquid clover honey
¼ tsp (1 ml) dry mustard powder
4 cups (1 L) roughly chopped romaine lettuce
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into long julienne curls with a spiralizer
1 unpeeled English cucumber, cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
2 cups (500 ml) peeled and diced jicama
2 cups (500 ml) cooked chickpeas
¾ cup (175 ml) pitted green olives, cut in half
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped fresh chives
⅓ cup (75 ml) fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat barbecue grill to medium-high.
- Rub lamb with 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil and season with 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin, salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, whisk together remaining 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin, vinegar, honey and mustard powder. Slowly incorporate remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) oil until dressing is well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Grill lamb, turning frequently, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until nicely charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 135 F (57 C) for medium-rare. Transfer lamb to a carving board to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl toss together romaine, carrots, cucumber, jicama, chickpeas and olives. Drizzle with dressing and toss again to coat salad. Transfer salad to a platter. Thinly slice lamb and arrange overlapping slices on salad. Garnish with chives and cilantro before serving.