CAULIFLOWER AND MUSHROOM TART
½ cup (125 ml) white quinoa
1 cup (250 ml) water
6 large eggs, divided
⅓ cup (75 ml) grated Parmesan
¼ tsp (1 ml) garlic powder
½ tsp (2 ml) dried thyme
½ medium-head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tbsp (30 ml) grapeseed oil, divided
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
8 oz (250 g) mixed mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
½ cup (125 ml) table cream (18%)
1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped fresh chives
4 oz (125 g) goat’s cheese, broken into large chunks
- Position oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 375 F (190 C).
- In a medium saucepan, stir together quinoa and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low, covering and cooking until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 egg, Parmesan, garlic powder and dried thyme. Add cooked quinoa and stir until mixture is well combined. Turn mixture into a lightly oiled 9-in (23 cm) pie plate or tart pan and press into an even layer along bottom and up sides. Bake until crust is lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside while preparing filling.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together cauliflower, 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange into a single layer and set aside. On a second rimmed baking sheet, toss together mushrooms, remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil and another pinch of salt and pepper. Place both baking sheets in oven and roast, stirring and rotating pans every 15 minutes, until cauliflower starts to caramelize and mushrooms have released most liquid, about 30 to 35 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 5 eggs, cream, chives and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fold in roasted cauliflower, mushrooms and goat’s cheese. Transfer mixture into quinoa crust and bake until filling is set, about 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.