Celeriac Steak Diane
2 tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
2 small celeriac, peeled and cut into 2-in (5 cm) slices
salt and pepper, to taste
1 shallot, finely diced
1 tsp (5 ml) white wine vinegar
1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp (10 ml) grainy mustard
2 tbsp (30 ml) brandy
3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable stock
3 tbsp (45 ml) whipping cream
2 tbsp (30 ml) thinly sliced chives
1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped parsley leaves
1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to warming setting. Heat olive oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Once butter has melted, place celeriac slices in pan, working in batches if needed. Cook over medium heat until golden brown on 1 side, about 5 to 8 minutes, season with salt and pepper, then flip. Repeat on other side, checking after about 5 minutes if they are tender all the way through. If not, continue cooking until they are.
- Remove celeriac from pan and transfer to oven to keep warm.
- To make sauce, add shallot to pan and cook until soft. Add vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard and simmer until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add brandy and simmer for 1 minute. Add vegetable stock and simmer again until reduced by ¾, about 3 minutes.
- Add cream, chives, parsley and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To serve, plate 2 steaks per person and serve with sauce and salad.