Cheesy Spinach Wheel
IngredientsServes 8 to 10
4 oz (125 ml) cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp (30 ml) mayonnaise
2 tbsp (30 ml) grated Parmesan
2 tbsp (30 ml) grated Romano cheese
1 garlic clove, crushed
¼ tsp (1 ml) dried basil
¼ tsp (1 ml) hot sauce, such as Tabasco, (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
¾ cup (175 ml) drained, roughly chopped canned artichoke hearts
1 cup (250 ml) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well squeezed
14 oz (400 g) puff pastry, thawed if frozen
3 tbsp (45 ml) pesto
1 cup (250 ml) shredded cheese, such as Monterey Jack, cheddar or mozzarella
1 tbsp (15 ml) water, plus extra for brushing
- In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan, Romano cheese, garlic, basil, Tabasco (if using) and salt and pepper until well combined. Add artichoke and spinach and mix to incorporate.
- Divide puff pastry in half. Roll half of pastry into a roughly 12.5-in (31.25 cm) circle. Transfer to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread pesto in centre of pastry circle, leaving a 1-in (2.5 cm) border around edge.
- Spread spinach mixture evenly on top of pesto. Scatter shredded cheese evenly over spinach. Lightly brush edge of pastry with water.
- Roll remaining pastry into a roughly 12.5-in (31.25 cm) circle and place over circle with spinach mixture. Lightly press pastry circles together from centre outwards and pinch to seal edges. Using a fork, poke holes all over pastry surface to allow trapped air to escape while baking. Invert a 12-in (30 cm) plate over centre of chilled pastry and trim off any excess pastry that is hanging over from edges. Shape excess pastry into flowers or leaves for decoration, if desired. Refrigerate pastry and decorations for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Invert a small bowl over centre of chilled pastry and lightly press to secure position. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut pastry wheel into four quarters from inverted bowl to edges. Then cut each quarter into 6 even wedges, totalling 24 wedges. Twist each wedge 2 to 3 times. Remove bowl and set aside.
- Lightly whisk together 1 tbsp (15 ml) water and egg to make egg wash. Brush over top of pastry. Discard remaining egg wash. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.