Chèvre Chaud with Avocado-Lime Cream
4 rashers bacon, sliced into ½-in (1.25 cm) strips (optional)
1 head butter lettuce, roughly torn
1 small head radicchio, roughly chopped
4 radishes, thinly sliced
3 tbsp (45 ml) pine nuts, toasted (optional)
1 cup (250 ml) parsley leaves
Honey-Mustard Dressing, make ahead, recipe follows
½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
3 tbsp (45 ml) white wine vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) Dijon mustard
1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
pinch table salt
pinch ground pepper
Chèvre Medallions, make ahead, recipe follows
½ cup (125 ml) panko crumbs
¼ tsp (1 ml) table salt
pinch ground pepper
¼ tsp (1 ml) dried parsley
6 oz (180 g) chèvre, sliced or shaped into eight 2-in x ½-in (5 x 1.25 cm) medallions
¼ cup (60 ml) flour
2 tbsp (30 ml) oil, for frying
Avocado-Lime Cream, make ahead, recipe follows
1 large avocado, cut into rough cubes (about 1 cup/250 ml)
2 tbsp (30 ml) sour cream
1 pinch table salt
¼ tsp (1 ml) ground cumin
2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 ml) fresh lime juice, to taste
- If using bacon, in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, fry bacon bits to desired crispness. Remove from heat and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together butter lettuce and radicchio. Add radish and desired amount of Honey-Mustard Dressing.
- To serve, brush Avocado-Lime Cream generously onto 4 plates with a pastry brush, or drizzle as desired for presentation. Divide salad between plates and add 2 to 3 Chèvre Medallions to each plate. Garnish with bacon bits and pine nuts, if using, and parsley.
- To prepare Honey-Mustard Dressing, Place all ingredients in a small jar. Cover and shake vigorously, until fully blended and emulsified, about 20 to 30 seconds. Use as needed. Can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks; shake well before using. Makes about ¾ cup (175 ml)
- To prepare Chèvre Medallions, In a small bowl, mix together panko crumbs, salt, pepper and parsley. Set aside.
- Place flour in another small bowl, and in a separate bowl, lightly beat egg.
- Evenly coat each chèvre medallion on all sides, first with flour, then egg, and finally with panko mixture.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, fry chèvre in hot oil for about 2 to 3 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until golden brown on each side. Fry in batches if necessary to avoid crowding pan.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, or cool and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat before serving. Makes 8 Chèvre Medallions
- To prepare Avocado-Lime Cream, Using a food processor or hand blender, blend avocado, sour cream, salt and cumin together until smooth. Add fresh lime juice to taste and continue blending until fully incorporated and mixture is smooth, about 10 seconds.
- Use immediately or transfer to a non-reactive storage container, covering entire surface with plastic wrap and pressing lightly with back of a spoon to remove air bubbles. Will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Makes about 1¼ cups (310 ml)