CHICKEN AND PORK SATAYS
IngredientsServes 4 to 6
3 tbsp (45 ml) canola oil
1 stalk lemongrass, dry leaves removed, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 red Thai chili pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) curry powder
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
1 tbsp (15 ml) light soy sauce
1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce
1 tsp (5 ml) palm or brown sugar
¼ cup (50 ml) coconut milk
1 to 1½ lbs (500 to 750 ml) combination of chicken breast, thighs or pork, cut into thin 1 x 3-in (2.5 x 7.5 cm) strips
¼ cup (50 ml) canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
½ tsp (2 ml) dried red chili flakes, or to taste
3 kaffir lime leaves or zest of 1 lime
½ tsp (2 ml) curry powder
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped lemongrass
1½ cup (375 ml) coconut milk
1 x 2-in (5 cm) cinnamon stick
2 tsp (10 ml) tamarind paste
1 to 3 tbsp (15 to 45 ml) fish sauce, or to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) palm or brown sugar
3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
1 cup (250 ml) chunky peanut butter
- Place all ingredients except for the meat into a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Separate chicken and pork in two bowls and divide marinade and pour on top. Mix well to combine and marinate for 2 hours.
- Thread meat onto skewers and place on barbecue or grill, turning occasionally, until cooked.
- To make SATAY SAUCE: Heat canola oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, red chili flakes, kaffir lime leaves, curry powder and lemon grass.
- Sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant and onions start to soften.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Be careful sauce does not stick to bottom of saucepan. Makes 1½ cups (375 ml)