Chicken Pan BagnatThis menu is perfect for backyard entertaining or packing up to take on the go!
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
4 demi baguettes, halved lengthwise
½ cup (125 ml) basil pesto
16 large basil leaves (4 per sandwich)
2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
⅓ cup + 1 tbsp (90 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
¾ cup (180 ml) jarred coarsely chopped, pitted niçoise or other oil-cured olives
1 whole roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
¼ small red onion, thinly sliced, rinsed, patted dry
⅓ cup (75 ml) finely chopped Italian parsley, divided
¼ cup (60 ml) capers, rinsed, patted dry, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breast, poached*, cooled, thinly sliced
1 x ½ lb (250 g) Fior di Latte** ball, sliced into 16 pieces
- Hollow out a trough in bottom half of each baguette to create a bed for filling. Brush each with pesto and line with 4 basil leaves.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add olives, roasted red pepper, onion, half the parsley and capers. Toss well to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon filling onto bread, heaping it and packing it into trough.
- Layer chicken over mixture, then finish with Fior di Latte slices. Season again, sprinkle with parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Top with remaining bread halves and wrap sandwiches well in foil. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours before packing into picnic basket.
- To serve, cut sandwiches into halves or thirds.
- * To poach chicken: Place chicken breasts in a medium saucepan and cover with 4 cups (1 L) cold water. Add 1 tbsp (15 ml) fine sea salt and place pan over medium-high heat. Bring water just to a boil. Flip chicken over and immediately remove from heat. Cover pan with a tight fitting lid and allow chicken to poach for 8 to 10 minutes. To test for doneness, insert an instant-read thermometer into chicken; it should read 160 F (70 C). Remove chicken from poaching liquid and let it cool completely before slicing.
- ** Italian soft cheese