½ tsp (2.5 ml) five-spice powder
¼ cup (60 ml) hoisin sauce
2 tsp (10 ml) tamari
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 cups (2 L) Ramen Broth, make ahead
16 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
1 bunch spinach, washed
4 portions fresh or frozen ramen noodles, cooked according to package directions
4 Soy Eggs, halved, make ahead
1 cup (250 ml) canned corn
1 leek, white part only, julienned and put into ice water
SIMPLE RAMEN BROTH:
9 cups (2.1 L) chicken stock
2 packages Dashi granules
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, rinsed
1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
2 tbsp (30 ml) mirin
1 tbsp (15 ml) sea salt, to taste
½ cup (125 ml) soy sauce
¼ cup (60 ml) cooking sake
¼ cup (60 ml) mirin
¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- In a large bowl, mix five-spice powder, hoisin sauce and tamari. Add chicken and marinate in fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C), place chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet, bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is done and juices run clear when cut. Let sit for 5 minutes, then cut into slices.
- Bring prepared Ramen Broth to a boil and add mushrooms. Turn heat down and simmer until mushrooms are cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms and set aside. Bring broth back to a boil, add spinach and simmer until cooked through, about 1 minute.
- Divide noodles into 4 bowls. Garnish each bowl with shiitake mushrooms, Soy Eggs, canned corn, leek and chicken. Ladle broth over each and serve.
- To make SIMPLE RAMEN BROTH: In a large pot, simmer all ingredients for 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms before serving. Adjust salt to taste. Makes 8 cups (2 L)
- To make SOY EGG: In a saucepan over high heat, bring all ingredients, except eggs, to a boil. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- In a small saucepan, place eggs and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. As soon as water comes to a boil, remove from heat. Leave eggs to sit for 4 minutes. Drain and run cold water over eggs until chilled, or add ice to water and let sit until chilled. Gently crack eggs and peel them. Place eggs in a jar and cover with soy mixture. Let marinate in refrigerator overnight before using. Eggs can be kept in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Makes 4 soy eggs