CHILLED RHUBARB SABAYON PARFAIT AND WHITE WINE COOKIES
WHITE WINE COOKIES:
½ tsp (2 ml) anise seed or Pernod liqueur
½ cup (125 ml) crisp white wine
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
1 pinch salt
½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar, plus extra for garnish
⅓ cup (75 ml) sunflower or canola oil
RHUBARB SABAYON PARFAIT:
1 cup (250 ml) chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen, thawed
⅓ cup + 1 tbsp (90 ml) granulated sugar
5 tbsp (75 ml) white wine, divided
5 egg yolks
¾ cup (175 ml) whipping cream
4 cups (1 L) fresh strawberries, trimmed and quartered
- To make WHITE WINE COOKIES: Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a mortar and pestle, lightly crush anise seeds, if using, before adding to a small bowl along with wine and vanilla extract. Let steep for 5 minutes. Alternatively, stir together Pernod with wine and vanilla extract before setting aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and granulated sugar. Make a well in centre of flour mixture and strain in wine mixture, discarding anise seeds, if using, along with oil. Stir together with a wooden spoon until dough comes together. Turn out onto a work surface and knead a couple of times.
- Divide dough into walnut-sized pieces. Working with 1 piece at a time, roll into a 3 to 4-in (8 to 10 cm) rope. Pinch together ends to form a ring and transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Sprinkle cookies with extra sugar and bake until bottoms are lightly golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies may be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To make RHUBARB SABAYON PARFAIT: Start by preparing an ice-water bath in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add rhubarb, sugar and 1 tbsp (15 ml) white wine. Stir until sugar dissolves before allowing to simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb is so tender it starts to fall apart, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender and purée until smooth.
- In a large metal bowl set over a large saucepan of simmering water, combine yolks, remaining 4 tbsp (60 ml) white wine and rhubarb purée. Whisk constantly until mixture is very thick and warm and has expanded in volume, about 7 minutes. Place bowl in ice-water bath and let mixture cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cooled rhubarb mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- To serve, layer strawberries and chilled Rhubarb Sabayon Parfait in serving bowls or martini glasses. Serve each with a couple of White Wine Cookies on the side.