CHOCOLATE- CINNAMON FLANS
¾ cup (175 ml) berry sugar
1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
2 oz (60 g) dark chocolate, 70% cocoa
3 egg yolks
1 x 100 ml can sweetened condensed milk
¼ tsp (1 ml) cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean
physalis fruit and raspberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 F (175 C). Line base of metal pan, 9 x 13-in (3.5 L), with paper towels. Pan should fit six ¾ cup (175 ml) ramekins.
- To make caramel sauce, add sugar to a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan with enough water to dissolve sugar, about ½ cup (125 ml). Cook, stirring over low heat, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high. Cook, without stirring, occasionally brushing down sides of saucepan with heatproof pastry brush dipped in water, until mixture is golden amber in colour, about 7 minutes. Swirl pan around to even out caramelizing. Remove from heat as soon as it reaches a rich, golden stage, to avoid burning.
- Using an oven mitt to hold each individual ramekin, pour a little caramel sauce, about 2 tbsp (30 ml), into each and swirl to coat base and halfway up sides. Place each ramekin into lined baking dish and set aside to cool.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over low heat combine whole milk and chocolate. Cook, stirring for 4 to 5 minutes until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl, preferably with a spout, whisk together eggs and yolks, condensed milk, cinnamon and salt. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and whisk into mixture. Gradually whisk in chocolate mixture slowly so as not to curdle eggs, then whisk vigorously until blended.
- Pour mixture through a fine-meshed sieve into caramel-glazed ramekins and place them into the paper towel-lined metal pan. Place pan with ramekins in centre of oven and carefully pour enough boiling water into baking dish to reach halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until flans are firm when gently nudged.
- Carefully remove baking dish from oven and let ramekins cool in pan in water bath for 10 minutes. Remove ramekins from water and cool on rack. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- To serve, warm a sharp palette knife, run around edges of ramekins and invert each onto a serving dish. Scrape any remaining caramel onto each flan. Garnish with fruit.