COLD SOBA NOODLE SALAD WITH HOT-SMOKED SALMON
SOBA NOODLE SALAD:
12 oz (340 g) soba noodles
1/3 cup (75 ml) fresh mint leaves, whole or coarsely chopped
1/3 cup (75 ml) fresh basil leaves, whole or coarsely chopped
1/3 (75 ml) fresh cilantro leaves, whole or coarsely chopped
½ cup (125 ml) finely sliced green onion
½ cup (125 ml) finely shaved red cabbage
¼ cup (60 ml) toasted sesame seeds
2 tbsp (30 ml) poppy seeds
8 oz (250 g) hot-smoked salmon
½ cup (125 ml) rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
1 medium English cucumber, thinly sliced
1 lime, zest and juice
½ tsp (2.5 ml) chili flakes, or to taste
¼ cup (60 ml) mirin
¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce
1 tbsp (15 ml) rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) grated ginger
1 garlic clove, grated
black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package instructions until just al dente, then drain and rinse under cold running water. Shake off excess water and place noodles in a serving bowl.
- Stir prepared dressing through noodles to coat. Add mint, basil, cilantro, green onion, cabbage, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and pickled cucumber. Toss to combine and top with flakes of smoked salmon. Serve immediately or chill for up to 2 hours, covered.
- PICKLED CUCUMBER: In a small saucepan, combine rice wine vinegar and sugar. Simmer over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove saucepan from heat and refrigerate until cool, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine cucumber, lime zest and juice and chili flakes.
- Pour cooled syrup over cucumbers and mix well to combine. Set aside. Can be made up to 1 day in advance and kept in refrigerator.
- DRESSING: In a medium bowl, whisk together mirin, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Season with black pepper. Set aside. Will keep for up to 3 days in refrigerator.