CORNBREAD STUFFED WITH PINEAPPLE, AVOCADO AND BLACK BEAN SALSA
¾ cup (175 ml) yellow cornmeal
1¼ cups (310 ml) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
⅓ cup (75 ml) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) each, salt, paprika
2 large eggs
1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
¾ cup (175 ml) whole milk
½ cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
PINEAPPLE, AVOCADO & BLACK BEAN SALSA:
1 cup (250 ml) black beans, canned
¼ pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
1 avocados, peeled, pit discarded and diced
¼ cup (60 ml) small red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
½ jalapeño, seeds removed and diced, optional
3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease mini muffin tins or squares of a brownie bite pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and paprika.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with a whisk until well combined. Whisk in honey and milk. Add wet mixture and melted butter to dry ingredients stirring until just blended together. Take care not to over mix – a few lumps are fine. Place a heaping spoonful of batter into each cup of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Cool cornbread bites in pan before removing.
- Using a teaspoon, make a well in each bite by carving out some cornbread from the top. Fill well with Pineapple, Avocado & Black Bean Salsa. Transfer to serving platter and serve bites warm or at room temperature.
- To make PINEAPPLE, AVOCADO & BLACK BEAN SALSA: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve or make up to one 1 day in advance.