¼ cup (60 ml) butter, divided
¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion
Pinch ground nutmeg
¾ tsp (4 ml) kosher salt
3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
2 cups (500 ml) whole milk, warmed
1 lb (500 g) frozen peas
Chopped green herbs, such as parsley, mint and/or chives, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, melt 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter then stir in onion, nutmeg and salt. Add flour, stirring until no lumps remain.
- Whisk in milk in small additions, whisking after each addition to prevent lumps. Once all milk has been added, bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened. Set aside but keep warm.
- In a large sauté pan, heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter over medium heat. Add peas and stir to coat. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Mix sauce into peas, then taste and adjust seasoning, as desired.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped herbs.