CRISPY ZUCCHINI AND FIG ROUNDS
IngredientsServes about 25 rounds
⅓ cup (75 ml) panko bread crumbs
⅓ cup (75 ml) finely grated Parmesan
¼ tsp (1 ml) each dried dill and thyme
⅛ tsp (0.5 ml) freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 large egg white
1 large zucchini, cut into ½-in (1 cm) rounds
¼ cup (60 ml) walnuts, toasted
2 tbsp (30 ml) hemp seeds
2 tbsp (30 ml) pine nuts, lightly toasted
½ tsp (2 ml) sea salt, plus extra for garnish
2 cups (500 ml) baby arugula
8 fresh figs, trimmed, cut into chunks
small fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Place oven racks in upper and lower third of oven before preheating to 400 F (200 C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan, dill, thyme and pepper.
- In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together oil and egg white until combined.
- Place several zucchini slices in egg mixture. One at a time, take zucchini slices out of mixture, allowing excess to drip off, and dredge in bread crumb mixture then place on prepared baking sheets. Repeat until all rounds are well coated. Bake for 10 minutes, rotate pans in oven and bake an additional 10 to 20minutesuntilbrownedandcrisp.
- Place walnuts, hemp seeds, pine nuts and salt in a food processor and grind until sandy
- To assemble, place zucchini crisps on a serving platter. Top each with arugula, figs and a sprinkle of walnut crumble. Garnish with a drizzle of oil, pinch of sea salt and a basil leaf, if desired. Serve immediately.