CRUSHED PEA BRUSCHETTA
2 cups (500 ml) frozen petite green peas
3 tbsp + ¼ cup (45 ml + 60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup (60 ml) crème fraîche
zest of 1 lemon, divided
juice of half a lemon
1 cup (250 ml) ricotta cheese
1 baguette, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) slices on bias
4 oz (125 g) Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved, for garnish
chopped chives, for garnish
pea sprouts, for garnish
- Preheat oven broiler to low.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add enough salt so it’s as salty as seawater. Blanch peas in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove peas and shock in ice bath. Drain well.
- In a food processor, add blanched peas, 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil, salt and pepper, crème fraîche, half of lemon zest and lemon juice and process until chunky.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining lemon zest, ricotta cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush baguette slices on one side with olive oil and season with more salt and pepper. Broil oiled side for 1 to 2 minutes, or just until bread is golden brown. Remove from oven and spread 2 tbsp (30 ml) of ricotta mixture on each slice, then top each slice with 2 tbsp (30 ml) of pea purée. Drizzle remaining olive oil on each bruschetta. Garnish with Pecorino shavings, chives and pea sprouts.