Fiesta Slaw Steak Bowls with Creamy Cilantro Dressing
2 tbsp (30 ml) grainy mustard
4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp (5 ml) onion powder
1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
2 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 ml) honey
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
1.1 lbs (500 g) flank steak
1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
½ yellow onion, diced
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown rice
1 cup (250 ml) cooked black beans
1½ cups (375 ml) chicken stock, or as needed
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup (250 ml) diced red pepper
¼ red onion, diced
1½ cups (375 ml) grilled corn kernels (about 2 cobs)
1 lime, juice only
1 tbsp (15 ml) diced jalapeño, or to taste
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro leaves
2 cups (500 ml) shredded red cabbage
Creamy Cilantro Dressing:
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup (125 ml) sour cream
½ cup (125 ml) chopped cilantro leaves
½ lime, juice only
1 tbsp (15 ml) mayonnaise
½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cumin
hot sauce, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together mustard, 3 minced garlic cloves, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, paprika, cumin, honey and olive oil. Add steak to bowl and turn to coat with marinade. Transfer to refrigerator and let sit for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add yellow onion and remaining garlic and sauté for 5 to 8 minutes, or until soft. Add rice, beans and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until liquid is fully absorbed. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat grill to high. Remove steak from marinade, discarding marinade, and grill for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 130 to 135 F (54 to 57 C) for medium-rare. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut across width of steak on a slight angle into ¼-in (0.5 cm) slices. Set aside.
- To make corn salsa, in a medium bowl, mix together red pepper, red onion, corn, lime juice, jalapeño and cilantro. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, dress cabbage with 2 tbsp (30 ml) Creamy Cilantro Dressing and set aside.
- Place desired amount of rice in 2 bowls. Top with dressed cabbage, corn salsa and steak. Dollop with desired amount of Creamy Cilantro Dressing.
- To make creamy cilantro dressing: In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Dressing will keep for up to 5 days in a sealed container in refrigerator. Makes about ¾ cup (175 ml)