GREEK PARSNIP POUTINE WITH CREAMY TZATZIKI DRESSING
CREAMY TZATZIKI DRESSING:
½ unpeeled English cucumber
¼ cup (60 ml) spreadable plain cream cheese
2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh minced dill
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
¼ tsp (1 ml) kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
GREEK PARSNIP POUTINE:
4 large parsnips, peeled and trimmed
3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely minced fresh rosemary
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
14 oz (398 ml) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
½ unpeeled English cucumber, diced
½ cup (125 ml) minced fresh Italian parsley
¼ cup (60 ml) sliced pitted kalamata olives
2 tbsp (30 ml) capers, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup (60 ml) Macedonian feta, crumbled, for garnish
2 tbsp (30 ml) pine nuts, toasted, for garnish
- To make CREAMY TZATZIKI DRESSING: Cut cucumber in half and scrape out the seeds. Coarsely chop and place in a highspeed blender. Add remaining dressing ingredients and whirl until creamy and smooth. Add more seasonings, to taste. Transfer to a squeeze tube with a rather large spout. Can be made ahead and refrigerated for a couple of days. Makes 1 cup (250 ml).
- To make GREEK PARSNIP POUTINE: Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Cut peeled parsnips into 3 x ¼-in (8 x 0.5 cm) even-sized fries. Place in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, cumin, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- Flip fries and continue to roast for 10 to 15 minutes longer until they are fork tender and beginning to turn golden. When done, remove from oven and place baking sheet on a rack for about 5 minutes. Fries will firm up while resting.
- While fries are baking, combine beans, cucumber, parsley, olives and capers in a large bowl. Gently toss together and set aside.
- To serve, divide fries among serving dishes. Top with bean mixture and drizzle with Creamy Tzatziki Dressing. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and toasted pine nuts. Serve at room temperature