GRILLED BEEF TACOS WITH BERRY SALSA
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
4 allspice berries, crushed
¼ tsp (1 ml) ground nutmeg
½ tsp (2 ml) garlic powder
½ tsp (2 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp (15 ml) dark brown sugar
1½ tsp (7 ml) salt, plus extra
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1.5 lbs (750 g) hanger steak or skirt steak
1 tbsp (15 ml) unsalted butter
1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp (15 ml) granulated sugar
1 tbsp (15 ml) white wine vinegar
1 cup (250 ml) pilsner beer
1 cup (250 ml) fresh strawberries, sliced
1 cup (250 ml) fresh raspberries, cut in half
1 small yellow or red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
⅓ cup (75 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) liquid honey
1 tsp (5 ml) lime zest
½ tsp (2 ml) lime juice
¾ cup (175 ml) shredded red cabbage
¾ cup (175 ml) shredded green cabbage
½ cup (125 ml) shredded radicchio
8 soft corn tortillas, about 8-in (20 cm)
¼ cup (60 ml) crumbled feta or blue cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk cinnamon, allspice berries, nutmeg, garlic powder, pepper flakes, brown sugar, salt and a good pinch of pepper. Rub mixture over skirt steak, place steak in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Grease and preheat grill over medium-high heat.
- While grill warms, make caramelized onions. Melt butter in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. With a wooden spoon stir in granulated sugar, vinegar, beer and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once liquid has been evaporated and onions are soft, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- To make a berry salsa, in large bowl, toss together strawberries, raspberries, bell pepper, jalapeño, green onions, cilantro, honey, lime zest and juice, and salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Grill steak over direct heat for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until cooked as preferred. Remove from heat to cutting board to rest for 10 minutes.
- While steak is resting, toss together both cabbages and radicchio.
- When ready to serve, warm tortillas in a frying pan over medium heat, flipping once. Thinly slice steak against grain. Divide cabbage mixture among tortillas, top with sliced steak, caramelized onions, the berry salsa and a crumble of feta cheese. Serve immediately.