Grilled Cauliflower Wedges with Herb Tahini Sauce
INGREDIENTS FOR HERB TAHINI SAUCE
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup (250 ml) chopped fresh dill
½ cup (125 ml) chopped fresh mint leaves
½ cup (125 ml) tahini
⅓ cup (75 ml) coconut water or water
⅓ cup (75 ml) fresh lemon juice
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR GRILLED CAULIFLOWER
1 small cauliflower, about ½ lb (250 g)
¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground coriander
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground turmeric
kosher salt, to taste
⅓ cup (75 ml) toasted walnut halves
1 handful fresh herbs such as dill, mint, parsley, chives
1 lemon, cut into wedges
lavash* or pita bread, to serve (Lavash bread is a Middle Eastern flatbread.)
- To make Herb Tahini Sauce, in bowl of a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade attachment, add garlic, dill, mint, tahini and coconut water. Blend until a thick paste forms, scraping down sides of bowl, as needed. Add lemon juice. Blend until well‑combined. Sauce should be spreadable but not runny. If too thick add 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 ml) coconut water (or water) and blend until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high on 1 side only. Turn other side of grill on to low.
- To prepare Grilled Cauliflower, remove outer leaves, trim stem so it sits flat. Cut cauliflower through core into 4 wedges. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, coriander, cumin and turmeric along with a generous pinch of salt. Add cauliflower, gently massage and turn in oil mixture to coat. Handle carefully, as cauliflower can fall apart easily.
- Place cauliflower cut-side down on grates over hottest part of grill and cook, undisturbed, until it starts to char, about 3 minutes. Gently turn cauliflower onto other cut-side. Continue to grill, mostly undisturbed, until starting to char, another 3 minutes. Turn wedges onto floret side and gently slide to cooler side of grill. Reduce heat on both sides to low and close lid. Grill until a skewer easily slides through thickest part, about 10 to 15 minutes. Gently transfer to cutting board.
- Spread Herb Tahini Sauce onto a platter or individual plates. Arrange cauliflower on top and dollop with extra sauce. Garnish with toasted walnuts, fresh herbs and lemon wedges. Serve with lavash bread and extra sauce.