GRILLED CHICKEN WITH NECTARINE BARBECUE SAUCE
IngredientsServes 4 to 6
NECTARINE BARBECUE SAUCE:
½ yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
3 nectarines, pitted and chopped
½ cup (125 ml) spiced dark rum
½ cup (125 ml) liquid honey
½ cup (125 ml) tomato paste
¼ cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) smoked paprika
4 tsp (20 ml) kosher salt
1 tsp (5 ml) grated nutmeg
½ tsp (2 ml) ground black pepper
4 chicken drumsticks, with skin on (optional)
4 chicken thighs, with skin on (optional)
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) ground black pepper
2 lemons, cut in half
6 thyme sprigs
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, sweat onions and garlic in vegetable oil until soft, about 5 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Add remaining barbecue sauce ingredients and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir often. Transfer to a food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes 2¼ cups (560 ml).
- Grease grill and preheat barbecue to medium heat, about 350 F (180 C).
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, olive oil, salt and pepper. Rub in with your hands to evenly coat.
- Place chicken on greased grill and barbecue for about 7 minutes on each side.
- Generously brush chicken with Nectarine Barbecue Sauce. Continue flipping and basting chicken with sauce until juices run clear when pierced and internal temperature registers 165 F (75 C) on a meat thermometer when inserted into centre of meat, about 10 to 12 minutes more per side.
- Meanwhile, grill cut side of each lemon half and set aside for garnish.
- To serve, arrange chicken on a heated platter and garnish with grilled lemon and sprigs of thyme.