Grilled Nectarine & Tomato Pizza
¾ cup (175 ml) warm water
1 tsp (5 ml) liquid honey
½ tbsp (7 ml) active dry yeast
1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1½ cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour, plus extra as needed
¼ cup (60 ml) cornmeal
¾ tsp (4 ml) kosher salt, plus extra to taste
grapeseed oil, for greasing
3 medium tomatoes, each cored and cut into 8 wedges
3 medium nectarines, pitted and halved*
4 oz (125 g) fresh mozzarella, roughly torn
¼ cup (60 ml) fresh basil leaves, divided
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, stir together water, honey and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow yeast to bloom. If mixture does not become frothy, like the head on a beer, yeast may be inactive; if so, repeat step with a new pack. With a wooden spoon, stir in olive oil, then stir in flour, cornmeal and salt. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead for about 2 minutes. Use as much extra flour as needed to create a smooth, firm and lightly sticky dough.
- Place dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat in oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm spot to rise until almost doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch down dough, cover bowl and let rise again, another 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high, on 1 side only. Lightly oil grill with grapeseed oil.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover with a towel and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes on a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let stand for 15 minutes. If needed, pat dry with additional paper towel and set aside on a clean plate.
- Brush nectarines lightly with grapeseed oil. Grill over hot side of grill until tender and grill-marked, about 1 to 2 minutes per side, turning once. Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle. Slice each half into 4 wedges.
- Dust work surface with flour and roll or stretch dough into a 14 x 10-in (35 x 25 cm) rectangle. Brush 1 side lightly with grapeseed oil. Place dough, oiled side down, onto grill directly over heat. Brush top lightly with more grapeseed oil and cook until underside has browned and bubbles appear on top, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook until other side has lightly browned, about 1 minute. Move dough to cooler side of grill and top with tomatoes, nectarines, cheese and half the basil. Cover grill and cook pizza until toppings are warm, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove pizza to a cutting board and garnish with remaining basil leaves and a sprinkle of black pepper. Let stand for a few minutes, then slice and serve warm.
- *Can substitute other stone fruit of choice if desired.