HONEY-BROILED SCALLOP SALAD
¼ cup (60 ml) liquid honey, divided
1 tbsp (15 ml) grape seed oil
1 Meyer lemon, finely grated zest and juice
salt and pepper, to taste
12 large scallops, cleaned and heel removed
1½ oranges, divided
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh tarragon
1 tbsp (15 ml) white wine vinegar
½ tbsp (7 ml) Dijon mustard
1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 ruby grapefruit
1 blood orange
1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, fronds reserved for garnish
2 radishes, trimmed
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped pistachios
1 tbsp (15 ml) coarsely chopped mint leaves
- In a bowl, whisk together 3 tbsp (45 ml) honey, grape seed oil, lemon zest and juice along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add scallops to marinade and stir to coat. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cut away rind and all white pith from half of an orange, then cut into chunks and place in a blender. Add remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey, tarragon, vinegar, mustard and olive oil, before blending until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper before setting aside.
- Preheat broiler. Cut away rind and all white pith from grapefruit and remaining orange. Cut fruit into thin rounds. Using a sharp knife or mandoline, slice fennel bulb and radishes into paperthin slices, reserving fennel fronds for garnish. Arrange citrus fruit, fennel and radish slices on serving plates.
- In a broiler-proof dish, arrange scallops along with marinade in a single layer. Broil 4-in (10 cm) from heat source until opaque throughout and lightly browned, about 4 to 7 minutes.
- To finish, place 3 scallops on each salad, drizzle with reserved dressing, and garnish with pistachios, reserved fennel fronds and mint. Serve immediately.