Honey Szechuan Lamb RibsGlobally inspired lamb recipes
IngredientsServes 2 to 6
2 lbs (1kg) lamb ribs, trimmed and cut into individual ribs
1-in (2.5 cm) piece ginger, peeled and grated
½ small onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) Shaoxing cooking wine
2 tbsp (30 ml) oyster sauce
¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil, divided
2 tbsp (30 ml) Szechuan peppercorns, crushed, divided
2 tbsp (30 ml) cumin, crushed, divided
10 garlic cloves, roughly chopped, divided
2 tsp (10 ml) chili flakes, or more to taste
¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce, divided
¼ cup (60 ml) + 2 tsp (10 ml) honey, divided
2 tsp (10 ml) sesame oil
2 tsp (10 ml) toasted sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
1 handful cilantro leaves
Cucumber Salad, to serve, make ahead, recipe follows
6 mini cucumbers, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) rounds, then crushed with side of a knife
1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 birds eye chili, thinly sliced
1 tbsp (15 ml) rice vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) mirin (sweet rice wine)
1 tsp (5 ml) sesame oil
1 tsp (5 ml) toasted sesame seeds
- In a dish large enough to hold lamb, combine ginger, onion, Shaoxing cooking wine, oyster sauce, 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil, 1 tbsp (15 ml) Szechuan peppercorns, 1 tbsp (15 ml) cumin, half the garlic, 1 tsp (5 ml) chili flakes, 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce and 2 tsp (10 ml) honey. Add lamb and marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight, in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Remove ribs from marinade to a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast until tender and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- While ribs are roasting, in a small saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add remaining garlic and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and add remaining Szechuan peppercorns, cumin, chili flakes, soy sauce and honey. Add sesame oil and sesame seeds. Stir to combine and set aside.
- When ribs are done, remove from oven and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour honey sauce over top and toss to coat. Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve with Cucumber Salad.
- For Cucumber Salad: In a large bowl, mix ingredients together and serve. Serves 2 to 6